Cayman Brac Parrot (Wild)

Posted by Lillian Roberts on Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:20 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 

Those who remember me from the other site may recall that one of my passions (and what got me into this bird photography thing) is parrots. I've been known to travel ridiculous distances and suffer greatly in to obtain usually mediocre images of rare parrots. Here's one, but fortunately I didn't have to suffer much to get it. Actually I lucked into it, being unaware there was such a parrot before I read about it in the in-flight magazine en route to the island. Once I knew, of course, it was only a matter of time.

This is the Cayman Brac Parrot, (sorry I misplaced the magazine with the Latin name) -- it's a subspecies of Amazonas, endemic to this tiny Carribean Island, with about 350 remaining and declining. That makes it the rarest of the known Amazon species. They have been killed as pests, and admittedly a flock can decimate a mango tree in a single afternoon. Unfortunately (?), in our brief session we were unable to observe that behavior, but I did get a few portraits. Not a wall-hanger, just a representation of a species most people will never see, not even the hundreds (or thousands?) who visit the island each year.

10D, 100-400 hand held, ISO setting 400, camera-mounted flash set at 0, Better Beamer.

And I'm aware of the bright sky but there was nothing I could do about it, it had been raining. The bird was in shadow and the sky was white, but I only had about an hour to work on them and most were higher in the foliage.

I'll post something more artistic next time. :)

Lillian

Posted by:
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor

by Neil Fitzgerald on Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:08 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Lovely shot, especially given the difficult background and rarity of the subject. I think the bright background is soft enough and evenly distributed enough that it is not too distracting.

N.

by Rich S on Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:31 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Wonderful detail throughout on a rare bird. You did well on the exposure; did you try using flash at 0 and setting the camera at maybe -1 or even less?

Rich

by Sandy Mossberg on Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:10 am
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Interesting shot, Lillian. Of course the BG is less than ideal. By underexposing ambient by at least 2 EV and using flash as main (with a synched shutter speed), you might well have gotten the BG to manageable levels.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A beautiful bird. Reducing the ambient exposure while keeping the flash at zero would have reduced the white sky phenomenon while keeping the bird properly exposed.

by stevebein on Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:13 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Lillian,
You beat me with the exposure. This is a great image of the bird. We can try the reduced ambient andfull flash next time.
I only had one image without the sky. I will post it., it is only the head, but no white background, just the head peeking out.
The conditions were changing and rough to shoot, though the landowner was charming and the location easy to reach.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Bruce Sherman on Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:24 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
Lillina,
Beautiful shot of this guy. IMHO the exposure is perfect.

by Alan Murphy on Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:36 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
This is great Lillian.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by LHays on Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:48 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Ah....the adventures and trouble we go to, to see a new bird. Excellent suggestions on shooting in that kind of lighting. Still an image that is pleasant....and more important.....meaningful to you. Good job!
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Heather Forcier on Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:06 am
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
I can't add to your self-critique, so I'll just say that the bird looks great (is it smiling for the camera?) and there is some nice detail here. I like your perspective for this shot where the bird is upright at the intesection of the branches.
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

by Carol Clarke on Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:10 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Good shot! Lovely detail in the plumage and tack sharp. I love the composition on this image and will leave the techs. to those more knowledgeable as regards the bright BG.

Very nice!

:)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Anthony Medici on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:51 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I like the way it's framed. Very nice detail on the bird. The high key parts could have been toned down in photoshop. :wink:
Tony

12 posts |