Burrowing Owl

Posted by Chris Fagyal on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
All,

Another one of my images from Brazil. Not where you expected this to be from eh? In the cerrado habitat of Chapada dos Guimaraes and surrounding area these guys are EVERYWHERE. And I do mean everywhere. There were 2 others within 100 feet of this guy on other trees or on the ground. We saw probably 15+ of them on this short stretch of road. The difference between there and here in most places is they aren't perched on fence posts...rather they are in natural non-man made surroundings. It was overcast this day and the light was soft and had a warm glow to it. This guy was so tame that I was able to stand less than 10 feet from him and click away. Wonderful experience. Once he closed his eyes after this shot I let him fall asleep and walked away a happy camper.

Canon Eos10D + 400mm f/5.6 @ f/8.0. 1/200th sec, Fill flash at -1 2/3.
Chris Fagyal
[b]NSN0066[/b]
[url=http://chrisfagyal.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10049]Naturescapes Portfolio[/url]

Posted by:
Chris Fagyal
Forum Contributor

by Harvey Edelman on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:54 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Nice image. I like that squinted eye.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by AlexC on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:56 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Chris; As presented the image looks a tad flat and looking at your camera/flash setting they should not be, fill=flash in on the money, I suspect here post processing troubles, I have taken the liberty and adjusted the midtones, selected a white point and tweaked the colors to closely resemble the ambient/flash light to my taste!!, I am hoping you don't mind!! :wink:
Great image in any case!!, Congrats!!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Chris Fagyal on Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:10 pm
Chris Fagyal
Forum Contributor
Alex:

I don't mind at all. Your repost does make it pop significantly more. The only thing I don't like about it is the sky wasn't blue. It was a grayish purple type hue. I always welcome critiques and honest comments and especially reposts. It makes me wantt o go back and take a look and try again. I paid more attention to getting the sharpening right and didn't pay as much attention to exposure. I probably should have saturated better without modifying the hues.

Thanks!
Chris Fagyal
[b]NSN0066[/b]
[url=http://chrisfagyal.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10049]Naturescapes Portfolio[/url]

by Alan Murphy on Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:01 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Chris, It's nice to see one of these with leaves in the frame. I like both posts but would settle for somewhere in between.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Juan E. Bahamon on Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:09 pm
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080
Chris:

It is nice to see a burrowing owl in different setting. I like the repost although brought some grain in the background, PS work never ends !!
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

by DC on Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:00 am
DC
Regional Moderator
An excellent shot Chris, must have been wonderful
Dave
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windscreen

by Campbell on Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:26 am
Campbell
Forum Contributor
Burrowing owls are cool. This is a nice shot of him. I do like the repost a little better because of the colors.
Nice work.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com

8 posts |