Bananaquits on a stump

Posted by stevebein on Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Continuing with the 70-200 IS plus TC's experiment, I got as close as I could to two bananaquits on a stump. IT was the best perch that I could get close to since I do not stalk as well as Lillian Roberts. As I was getting close, one took off. The depth of field left the take off soft, but the pose and whole scene I think are worthwhile of posting.

10D, 70-200IS, TC, ISO 200, 1000@f4, and I know I could have tightened the aperture, but not in time as it took off. Handheld and as wide as possible at that time. Cropped about 20% This was near the resort and had towels on the right. THe open space onthe left would be nice for text and I think it might work well for advertising.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

Posted by:
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137

by Robert Ludwick on Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:51 am
Robert Ludwick
Forum Contributor
Steve,

I really like the bird just taking off, to bad it wasn't a little sharper. IMHO this would have been great with a 500-600 just on the right bird, cropped vertical. My preference for posting is to not include negative space for type or headlines.

Bob
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0074[/url]
"In Wildness is the Preservation of the World" Eliot Porter

by stevebein on Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:53 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Robert,
This was a dive trip, With all the airline transfers, dive equipment and the fact that I was not making this predominantly a bird photo trip you can understand my not taking a full compliment of dry based photo equipment,long lenses, heavy duty tripods and heads, etc/ I agree, it would be wonderful to have that shot with a 500mm and tack sharp..
As the prophet said, if wishes were fishes, then we would eat forever.
Thanks for the comment. These were skittish birds and the equipment brought was just enough for quick setups. We did three or more dives per day, the location is world class diving, with a few choice birds to see. I really like the two birds together instead of one. IT is different from images taqken with the 500mm plus TC's that I use. A learning trip and I will return, mostly for the diving, but my land photo gear will be slightly different. I recently changed from Nikon to Canon and if I had my Nikon system, then my system would have been different and I would have taken the 80-400 VR lens.
Wait for the image I have of a bananaquit on a "dildoe", yes they actually grow on Cayman Brac Island, just ask the islanders.
Steve
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Alan Murphy on Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:59 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Steve,

Interesting photo. Not quite the setting I would have imagined for Bananaquits. I picture a tropical setting in green. I do love the stump, and the background is awesome.

As both birds are facing right, I feel that as nice as the BG is, there's too much of it on the left. I would take a 1/4 off the left and a little off the top.

Given the limatations of equipment, you did a great job.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Jim Probst on Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:50 pm
Jim Probst
Forum Contributor
Steve,

The wingspread and action of the bird taking off is very nice! I think the image, overall, is appealing. Great job!
Jim Probst
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0034[/url]

by Juli Wilcox on Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:21 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Well, I like it as is because it appears stylized, reminding me of a painting and that there is a story here. I like it because it is not the norn, because it is unusual, because it is bright with a darker spot on the left. It's as if the birds had come from that direction, have paused and are about to take flight again. I am seeing this photo in a whole different style.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by NDCheryl on Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:49 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Steve,

I think you did very well considering the equipment you had to use. I really like the BG and the stump and both birds. I too would opt to crop some from the top and left. Thanks for sharing.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Lillian Roberts on Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:19 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
Hey, Steve, nice grab! I think you caught a nice pose for both birds. I think I too would prefer more cropped off the left for internet purposes, but I see your point about negative space for submissions.

Lillian

by Bruce DiVaccaro on Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:52 pm
Bruce DiVaccaro
Forum Contributor
Steve,

This is very nice. Great job capturing the takeoff. I like the background and the perch. Framing it more to the left would make it even better.
Bruce DiVaccaro
Sheffield Village, Ohio
NSN 135

by Daniel Bergmann on Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:24 pm
Daniel Bergmann
Forum Contributor
I like the action but I'm not all too crazy about the space on the left. When I compose vertical shots I do take into account space for text, but never with horizontals. Maybe a vertical crop would give more balance?

by stevebein on Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:56 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
I see what you mean making it a vertical. It might be much stronger than the horizontal.. I shot a few of them on the log. and was delighted to get this. They hung around the resort and were found on non usual locations. They are pretty birds.
Thanks to all for the comments.
:wink:
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by chew on Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:13 pm
chew
Forum Contributor
Like the stump and I like the jump. I feel like I'm watching through a window and the quits were just cruising by. Good post.
Chew NSN 0031

by Anthony Medici on Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:50 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I would have liked more open space on the right but I understand you limitations here. Tough shooting birds without the proper equipment. I know, I tried shooting hummingbirds in Mexico for three days with an 80-400 VR lens. Talk about frustrating. I'm glad I was using digital. :wink:
Tony

13 posts |