Black Jacobin - Unusual view

Posted by Chris Fagyal on Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Hi all. I post this not for the quality of the image, which i feel is mediocre (low shutter speed, improper use of flash which I should have used as main light but didn't know how when I took this, amongst other things). I post this mostly because of the extremely unusual look it gives. Black Jacobins are almost entirely black, and have this wonderful red gorget which is almost never visible. I didn't even see it when I was taking this shot. This is the only shot I have of the gorget and only time I ever even noticed it. If you have been to the SE part of Brazil and seen these you can appreciate the uniqueness. If you haven't at least you can pretend :)

Canon Eos10D + 400mm f/5.6. Other technicals to come. Doing something processor intensive on my comp right now and can't open photoshop. Off the top of my head I think shutter speed was 1/80th and was probably f/6.3 or so with fill at -1 1/3 or -1 2/3.
Chris Fagyal
[b]NSN0066[/b]
[url=http://chrisfagyal.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10049]Naturescapes Portfolio[/url]

Posted by:
Chris Fagyal
Forum Contributor

by Alan Murphy on Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:32 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Awesome looking Hummingbird Chris. Hummingbirds almost always have to be facing you in order to see the gorget. You did a great job. I disagree with you on the quality of the image. The balance of light between bird and Bg is good. Love the pose,perch and comp.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Chris Fagyal on Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:38 pm
Chris Fagyal
Forum Contributor
Well even facing you this guy doesn't show his gorget very often. Its a very odd hummer. I watched them for 3 days from the balcony at Itatiaia, and they were perched quite close..at most 20 feet away, and not once but this one time did I ever see its gorget, unlike other hummers there such as Violet-crowned Woodnymph, and Brazilian Ruby where you got blinded every few seconds with a gorget :) By the way one can add Parque Nacional do Itatiaia as a great place to photograph birds...6 or so hummer species, Dusky-legged Guans, Rufous-crowned Motmot and multiple other nifty things right around the lodge and at the feeders.

Edit: Just looked at a bird book for southern S. America, and realized a mistake. I mispoke, the males don't have gorgets on this hummer. The females however have that beautiful red on the sides of the neck so this is a lovely female :)
Chris Fagyal
[b]NSN0066[/b]
[url=http://chrisfagyal.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10049]Naturescapes Portfolio[/url]

Last edited by Chris Fagyal on Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Bill Whala on Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:39 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
This is an excellent shot of a humming bird I've never even heard of. 8)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by AlexC on Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:23 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Very nice Hummer!!!, love them birds!!
Nice image to boot!!! Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Jim Neely on Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:26 am
Jim Neely
Regional Moderator
Member #:00100
You're too harsh on yourself. There isn't a lot to complain about here. The leaf below might be cloned out, but tha's not a biggy.

jn
[b]Jim Neely - Dripping Springs TX[/b]
jim(at)jneely.net [url=http://www.jneely.net]Jim Neely Nature Photography[/url]

by Wayne Ellis on Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:02 pm
Wayne Ellis
Forum Contributor
Well captured Chris
Comments and reposts welcome

Wayne Ellis

by Laura Stiefel on Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:55 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
A very unique looking hummingbird! The pose makes me wonder what it's looking at. Thanks for sharing this one. :)
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

8 posts |