Blackbird lady or a Thrush ? + improvements

Posted by MoCa on Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
I know it's not tack sharp, but if you consider that it is a quick shot through the window (double glass) and with the 500mm handheld ! is it noth so bad I think ! :lol:

Shutter speed: 1/50 sec
Aperture: 5,0
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Flash: Off
Lens: 500,0 mm
Monique, I am packed and ready to go, I may not look like much but I am well behaved and can grow on you like a fungus, with no cure for it!!! 

Last edited by MoCa on Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
MoCa
Forum Contributor

by Alan Murphy on Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:58 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Monique, looks like a Juv blackbird to me. I would crop this to a horizontal and add some USM to the bird. Love the snow.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by fredcor on Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:19 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Good shot. I'm sure that juvenile and female blackbirds are heavily streaked on the breast, this one is not.

Latafat
Frederick Lat Correa

by Larsen on Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:20 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Sans the glass, with the addition of a tripod, this would have been really nice. As is, it's lacking the punch, the crispness, the sharpness that I like to see. But the composition and added snow are nice. You did as well as possible under the circumstances.
_

by Mike Wilson on Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:31 pm
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
Looks like a thrush to me. Too bad about the glass making it hard to get a sharp image.
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The double pane window really killed the contrast but a lot of that can be regained in your photo program as well as some sharpening. I don't believe this to be a blackbird - at least not like any blackbird we have in NA. The bill doesn't look conical enough to me but I'm not an expert on all of the different blackbird varieties.

by George DeCamp on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:40 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Cool bird, not sure what it is. I wonder if you can recoup the contyrast in PS? WOuld love to see it again with that and USM. Heck, good for hand held!

by Phil Shaw on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:42 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
Hi Monique,

Alan is right, this is a female Blackbird (Turdus merula). Winter migrants from Scandinavia are often exhibit the pale, streaked colouration shown in your image.

The image will also sharpen-up with a further application of usm (try 0.3:350:2 followed by 0.3:80:2). It will also benefit by a general contrast enhancement - again, performed as an application of usm with the following settings 30:30:0.

Again, like Alan, I like the snow and it would look better with a horizontal crop. Pity you couldn't have move a little to the right to avoid the branch directly behind the bird's head. Pretty good for a grab-shot from inside the house though!

Best wishes
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by MoCa on Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:55 am
MoCa
Forum Contributor
Phil Shaw wrote: The image will also sharpen-up with a further application of usm (try 0.3:350:2 followed by 0.3:80:2). It will also benefit by a general contrast enhancement - again, performed as an application of usm with the following settings 30:30:0.

Again, like Alan, I like the snow and it would look better with a horizontal crop.
Thanks Alan , :)

and here he is , with the suggested improvements:

Monique, I am packed and ready to go, I may not look like much but I am well behaved and can grow on you like a fungus, with no cure for it!!! 

by AlexC on Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:09 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Monique, Open the window and retake the image!!
Make sure the bird is lured with the right kind of food!!!!
:wink:
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

10 posts |