Ring Billed Gull Portrait (I am back)

Posted by Christoph Belanger on Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Finally I am back. Santa was good to me and brought me a new computer so that I can hook up my scanner and digitize my images. Anyway, this RBG plopped itself down between me and a very nice Black-bellied Plover at Jones Beach so that I had no choice but to take some images of it. This is the one that I like best.

EOS 3, 500f/4L IS, TC2X, 25mm of extension, 550EX -1 flash comp with BB, the foot of the lens was firmly planted in the sand.

Hope you like it, and pleaes comment. BTW, it is good to be back.

Christoph

Posted by:
Christoph Belanger
Lifetime Member
Member #:00551

by Bill Whala on Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:58 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Welcome back Christoph. This works for this week's motif theme. I wish for a tiny bit more DOF to get the tip of the bill in focus. Still, a very nice shot. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by Rob Palmer on Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:19 am
Rob Palmer
Forum Contributor
Nice close capture. I would have preferred to have the gull face more to the right getting a cleaner portrait. There seems to be a bit of grain to the background, perhaps a lower ISO setting.
Rob Palmer
[url]http://www.falconphotos.com/gallery/7385039_qUuth#!i=774854059&k=Uuoef[/url]

by LHays on Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:04 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
A nice up close shot. A little more DOF would be a plus.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Anthony Medici on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:57 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Rob Palmer wrote:There seems to be a bit of grain to the background, perhaps a lower ISO setting.
The image was taken on film. That's a combination of grain and noise from the scan in the background. Chris, you could select the background and blur it to reduce the noise.

I like the image overall but I too would have liked to see a little more DOF. I know that's hard to do when the bird is moving so I'd still be happy if I took this shot.
Tony

5 posts |