Series: A Day at Bosque: [10] Snow Geese at Sunrise

Posted by Anthony Medici on Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:32 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
(Snow geese) Bosque de Apache, New Mexico

This is intended to be about a month long series of images from my two weeks at Bosque. My intent is to make the images flow as though they all occurred during a single day. Of course, they occurred during the two weeks I was there. :)

This is the tenth in the series.

Most people shoot at sunrise at the crane pool where the activity is pretty certain and usually hectic. This was taken in the area of the farm deck at sunrise. Getting a snow goose in early morning light was tough. It's much easier to get them in late afternoon light.

The activity this morning at the farm deck was certainly not hectic and, in fact, was a little slow but I did mange to get a few keepers. This image needed some modification as the two birds were too far apart in the original. Since the background was a simple sky, this was easily accomplished. Why did I bother with so many images? Well, I wanted to show something other than cranes for my morning shooting. :roll:

Tripod/Wimberly mounted Nikon D2H, 600mm AFS, TC-14EII ISO 200, Aperture Priority, EV 0, 1/250 @ F11, SB-80DX, BB, FP. Cropped and the geese moved closer together.
Tony

Last edited by Anthony Medici on Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted by:
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012

by moose henderson on Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:30 pm
moose henderson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00193
wow, awesome light, beautiful-way to "Shoot the Light"

by Jim Urbach on Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:31 pm
Jim Urbach
Lifetime Member
Member #:00049
Tony,

Very nice image showing both phases of a snow geese.

Jim
Enjoy viewing

Jim Urbach

http://www.jimurbach.smugmug.com

http://jimurbach.smugmug.com

by DennisD on Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:40 pm
DennisD
Forum Contributor
Anthony, GREAT Lighting, I know why one could get addited to that place, Well done.

by Robert Kemmerlin on Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:55 pm
Robert Kemmerlin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00076
Tony,

Nice placement in the frame, and great light.
Robert Kemmerlin

[url=http://www.wildlifesouth.com/]WildlifeSouth - A Nature Photography Journal[/url]

by AlexC on Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:10 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Lovely light and very nice birds!! Congrats!!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Larsen on Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:10 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Great light, nicely positioned SG in the frame. It's a keeper!
_

by Penney Goodwin on Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:46 pm
Penney Goodwin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00171
So which are they - snow geese or sandhill cranes??? :) Lovely light and i am feeling guilty that I've missed the earlier 9 with my head in the software box. Since you have my camera, I'll going to beg a little help in the next few days. Thanks, Tony!
Penney
NSN 0171

"I was always a lover of soft-winged things." ~ Victor Hugo

by Greg Downing on Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:53 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Great catch Tony. ;) It's not easy to get a composition like this. The top bird might be a tad soft, but otherwise a great #10 shot.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Anthony Medici on Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:07 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Laurel wrote:So which are they - snow geese or sandhill cranes??? :) Lovely light and i am feeling guilty that I've missed the earlier 9 with my head in the software box. Since you have my camera, I'll going to beg a little help in the next few days. Thanks, Tony!
The others are still around. Just search on my name as the author and Series as the keyword. You'll pick up some others but all of mine show up.

I did correct the editing oversight. Thank you for pointing it out. :oops:

Greg, I had another two bird shot a few minutes before this one but the lower bird was very soft in that one. The light was too good on this one to skip it though. I think the golden yellow color only lasts between 10 and 15 minutes at Bosque if there are no clouds in the way.
Tony

by Alan Murphy on Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:12 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Nice shot Tony.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by LHays on Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:31 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Tony
Nice shot with both in the picture. Was the sun really that yellow and/or is your new camera giving that much saturation? I noticed a similar saturation on your other camera.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Anthony Medici on Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:44 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
LHays wrote:Was the sun really that yellow and/or is your new camera giving that much saturation? I noticed a similar saturation on your other camera.
I think the sun was that yellow. The most obvious yellowing occured between sunrise and about 7:15 am as near as I can tell. Less occured after 7:15 till about 7:30. Then I didn't notice any color shift at all. I think I have images from both the cameras that show the same effect.
Tony

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tony I also feel that the yellow here is a product of either the tone curve in the camera or saturation or incorrect white balance. It has too much of yellow with even some hint of green in it to be natural. Other than that its a very nice shot.

14 posts |