Posted by Brian L. Zwiebel on Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:07 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 25 posts | 
by Brian L. Zwiebel on Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:07 am
Brian L. Zwiebel
Forum Contributor
Well, That clears everything right up!! :lol:
Cliff Beittel wrote:... But why not ditch the filter rather than the Velvia? I agree a warming filter is awful with Velvia in good light, but I've never seen shots in good light where I didn't prefer Velvia to Provia (just saw another example on my light table in the last week). The latter looks fine in isolation, but flat compared with Velvia.
Hi Cliff, I guess I need to locate that little UV drop in filter. Till then I'm stuck with shooting some Provia in EML. I will however continue to use Provia for flight shooting as well. I seem to be able to get a little more detail in the shadows vs. the Velvias, especially with the push process. I will break out the Velvia F to try some sun lit flight shooting with the snow reflector.

Greg has proved to be wise once again, by avoiding the ID and the film discussion!!

My initial ID with the bird in hand, in pre-dawn light was Gray-cheeked. I only questioned that after seeing the film. As Cliff noted, I believe the film, filter and light are giving this the appearance of Swainson's as it really didn't shout Swainson's in hand. To me the eye ring is not prominent enough for Swainson's.

Jill, I must admit that I did not even consider Veery. I have no clue on the various races but the idea is intriguing.

Unfortunately this is the only angle I used when shooting the bird. I did however get many horizontals as well a few other verticals.

Hey Jim, Who needs a tennis racquet for FL birds?? :P

Thanks all for your thoughts and comments.

Can I get a vote for Hermit Thrush? Anyone? :roll:

BZ

by LHays on Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:04 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Brian
I'm certainly no Ace Birder....and am embarrassed to even state my level so I'll leave this discussion to the others.

This is a very interesting story and image. Aiding in the recovery of a stunned bird and getting his image seems like a good deal to me. Oh...and now I understand previous comments on "tennis rackets".
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Cliff Beittel on Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:52 am
Cliff Beittel
Forum Contributor
In addition to warm film, warm light, and warming filter, a complicating factor is that Sibley's color bias is toward red. Still, with all the factors tending to make this bird look buffy and rufous, it doesn't look bright enough even for a Newfoundland Veery (as illustrated by Sibley). For any race of Hermit, the tail should be brighter than the head and back, which isn't the case. Thus, I suspect you are left with the hard choice between GC and SWTH. To muddy the water further, Sibley shows rare instances of Bicknell's in Ohio! :wink:

Brian, are you using the glass or resin drop-in? If you put in a warming filter, where is the filter that came with the lens? I only tried a warming filter once with Velvia at daybreak, and it was dreadful. Don't think I'd like it even with Provia. I just don't understand keeping a warming filter in at all times.

For what it's worth, I don't trust the resin filters. Should it become damaged in a remote location, how do you replace it? I like to replace the original resin drop-in with the glass one and carry a spare filter which I can install in a few seconds if necessary.

by Laura Stiefel on Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:33 am
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
I'm clueless as to the species but I do like the photo!
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Jeff Moore on Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:24 pm
Jeff Moore
Forum Contributor
I'll chime in a little late here with another vote for Gray-cheeked. There just does not seem to be enough eye-ring and pale lores for a Swainson's. They always strike me as having a stronger face pattern. I agree, as previously stated, that the rump and tail are not bright enough for Hermit and I feel the breast speckling is too heavy for Veery even if the color was abnormally dull.
Come on Brian, couldn't you pose the bird any better than that :roll:
Jeff Moore
Roanoke, IN
http://www.moorenaturephotography.com

25 posts |