GREAT BLUE OWL

Posted by James McIntyre on Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:32 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Title: BLUE BOY
Species: Great Blue Owl (Strix cyanea marianiae)
Photographer: James McIntyre
Date: September, 2003
Equipment: Canon EOS-1VHS; EF 600 mm f/4L IS USM + 2.0x I TE; Gitzo 1548 + Wimberley Head
Spot Metering: 0
Film: Fuji Provia 100F
Scanner: Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED with LaserSoft SilverFast Ai Software v6.0.1r28 (IT8 calibrated)

While photographing in Yellowstone National Park last September, our group was fortunate enough to encounter this very large owl about 5 p.m. It was perched in shade on a low branch at the edge of a clearing in a mixed aspen-conifer forest. At first we thought this bird was a Great Gray Owl (Strix nebulosa), the largest of all North American owls. I began to shoot in the dim light with evaluative metering at +2/3, but realized this involved too much uncertainty, as the light patches in the background could easily trick the camera meter. Use of fill flash was out of the question, so I switched to spot metering.

Even so, after my developed slides were returned, I noted that the owl was underexposed and had a blue cast. Film reciprocity failure perhaps? Not so, say I. As I lightened the image in Photoshop by applying screen layers, the owl became bluer and bluer, while the background and perch remained neutral. This leads me to conclude that this owl is a new, previously undiscovered North American raptor species, which I shall call GREAT BLUE OWL. I will suggest that its scientific name be Strix cyanea marianiae after its discoverer, renowned wildlife photographer Mary Ann McDonald.

This beautiful bird, whom I have nicknamed BLUE BOY, would surely be a wonderful holiday ornament. But beware, he eats computer mice!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

Jim

Posted by:
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Member #:00068

by joseph motto on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:17 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
Jim,
As Seinfeld was heard saying (altho his Blue Boy was a shirt), "I think you've got something here!"
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by matt kuchta on Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:18 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
Wacky - a photoshop effect done with analog equipment to start...

-matt
NSN 0017

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You had me going there for a while - NOT! :lol:

by Bill Whala on Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:03 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Interesting that he turned so blue from the underexposure. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

5 posts |