Posted by AlexC on Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:32 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by Andrew Mc on Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:32 am
Andrew Mc
Regional Moderator
Member #:00043
I don't wish harm to too many things, but this bird would look better with it's feet in the air. Great shot none-the-less, but these are considered a pest here in Australia, and efforts are being made to cull their numbers.
Here's a link to some info: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/s595922.htm
Andrew McFadyen | NSN0043
http://www.mcfadyen.org

by Carol Clarke on Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:21 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Wonderful shot Alex! and as always very entertaining commentary!! - as we say over this side of the pond 'what's yours is mine and what's mine is my own' 8) :lol:
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by AlexC on Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:18 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Juan wrote:
Very nice picture of a bird I have never seen. I enjoy your astute observations. One day I will go to your cafe to enjoy a thick cuban coffee with liquor
Juan, It would be my treat on the coffee and a wonderful treat to meet you as well!!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by AlexC on Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:30 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Andrew Mc wrote:
I don't wish harm to too many things, but this bird would look better with it's feet in the air. Great shot none-the-less, but these are considered a pest here in Australia, and efforts are being made to cull their numbers.
Here's a link to some info: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/s595922.htm
Andrew, I can see what the hand of man can do when it interferes with nature, The bird becomes a pest out of his native environment, not due to his survival skills but by the ignorance, greed and lack of knowledge of what he can and can not do in a different habitat, In the States we have the Starling brought from England by a man who missed them upon his arrival in the US, In South Florida is the legal Exotic Avian trade and the story goes on and on, In the end the Animals and Birds pay the ultimate price for our stupid ways!!!, Thanks for the information, very interesting!!
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Juli Wilcox on Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:43 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Very informative thread and an interesting view of a pesty, pesky bird. If this is the sidewalk, the photographer must have been in the gutter. Now that's dedication! :lol:
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by Andrew Mc on Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:49 pm
Andrew Mc
Regional Moderator
Member #:00043
AlexC wrote: Andrew, I can see what the hand of man can do when it interferes with nature, The bird becomes a pest out of his native environment, not due to his survival skills but by the ignorance, greed and lack of knowledge of what he can and can not do in a different habitat, In the States we have the Starling brought from England by a man who missed them upon his arrival in the US, In South Florida is the legal Exotic Avian trade and the story goes on and on, In the end the Animals and Birds pay the ultimate price for our stupid ways!!!, Thanks for the information, very interesting!!
Yes, we're certainly doing our best to screw up the natural order of things. We also have introduced starlings down here, as well as the cane toad (introduced to eat the bugs in sugar cane, but tends to eat everything else too), and of course rabbits and foxes (introduced for sport). There are many others as well.
Andrew McFadyen | NSN0043
http://www.mcfadyen.org

by Penney Goodwin on Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:18 am
Penney Goodwin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00171
Actually, I think its spelled "mynah" unless it's the American cousin and Americanized name of the East Indian parrot, mimic bird. This is a great photo, Alex and I loved reading about the behavior!
Penney
NSN 0171

"I was always a lover of soft-winged things." ~ Victor Hugo

27 posts |