Purple Finch (Carpodacus purpureus)

Posted by Peter M. Noyes on Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
I am posting a photograph of a Purple Finch that I took in my back yard this past winter.I took the picture just after an ice storm.

Posted by:
Peter M. Noyes
Forum Contributor

by Anthony Medici on Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:40 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Since you didn't mention camera, lens or specs used, let me speculate. You tell me how close I got.

I'd say you shot this on film using a 35mm system, about a 400mm F5.6 focal length lens. (Probably an 80-400 or 100-400 zoom.) You got right under the bird or the bird just landed while you were standing there. It looks like it was shot wide open and at full focal length. And possibly, you might have used a flash to help with the shadow detail. (Scratch the flash, I'd say you got reflection off the snow on the ground.)

Your review:
The angle to the bird is too steep, I can already feel my neck hurting. :wink: You got in too close and you ended up almost losing the tail and the beak.
I would have zoomed out (or stepped back a bit) giving the bird a little more room. Try and get a lower angle at the bird, more of a birds eye view and try and get the bird when it's more in the open. (or at least not partially obscured by branches)

So, how did I do with my guesses?
Tony

Last edited by Anthony Medici on Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Greg Downing on Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:42 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Thanks for posting Peter and welcome to NSN!

Tony has given you some good pointers here and posting the details of what equipment are used as well as any technique is greatly encouraged in the posting guidelines.

It's good to see an image that looks cold as it has been hot here!

Thanks again for posting and I will be looking for more of your work!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Juan A. Pons on Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:47 pm
Juan A. Pons
Web Consultant
Member #:00028
Peter,

You got some great feedback there from Anthony. One more thing I would mention is that when photographing subjects it is important to give the bird/animail/person room to "look into" go room go to into/towards. Images where the front of the subject has no room to go project tension. Sometimes that can be an effective composition tool, but you probably want to do it purposely.
Juan A. Pons
NSN 0028
Check my new Photo Workshops: http://juanpons.org/workshops

by Juan E. Bahamon on Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:04 am
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080
Peter:

I believe you have a good beginning, the introduction of ice gives personality to your picture. Something that I may add is try to wait until the bird looks at you and also it is good idea to obtain a little reflection in the cornea, something we call catchlight, it gives more vibrancy to the subject.
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

by Peter M. Noyes on Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:23 am
Peter M. Noyes
Forum Contributor
Anthony, Youur "Guess" was 100% right. I used a Nikon D1X with a 80 to 400 MM VR lensat F 5.6. Flash was not used.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate your taking the time to advise me.

by Juli Wilcox on Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:17 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Hi Peter---like the red colors here; feel the harsher light works against you but you have received some good pointers and if you get these in your back yard, you'll have many more opportunities to try out the pointers. :)
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

7 posts |