HORNED PUFFINS - BERING SEA

Posted by James McIntyre on Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Title: HORNED PUFFINS - BERING SEA
Species: Horned Puffin (Fratercula corniculata)
Photographer: James McIntyre
Date: July, 2000
Equipment: Canon EOS-1VHS; EF 600 mm f/4L IS USM; Gitzo 1548 + Wimberley Head; 550EX + Better Beamer
Evaluative Metering: -1/3
Flash: ~0
Film: Fuji Provia 100F @ ISO 200
Scanner: Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED with LaserSoft SilverFast Ai Software v6.0.1r28 (IT8 calibrated)

This picture admittedly has several things wrong with it.

Firstly, as a complete novice to fill flash in 2000, I shot it about 0, resulting in an overly dark background. Fortunately, I was able to lighten it partially in Photoshop.

Secondly, the birds' breasts may be too light for some tastes, although that's primarily due to my PS tinkering.

Thirdly, the birds had dreaded RED EYE. I was able to remove this by desaturating with a very narrow notch filter, while still retaining their beautiful orange eyes. See my post of 10/27/03 in Photography Topics and the replies for more details.

It's also perhaps a little soft - especially compared to GD's spectacular CLIFF EDGE picture (9/07/03).

Please note the immaculate training of my puffins.

Also note their ridged bill structure, which allows them to stack multiple small fish when feeding.

All in all, I rather like the somewhat dramatic effect of this flawed picture, with the birds looking out over the menacing Bering Sea far below. I hope some of you may too.

All comments welcome.

Posted by:
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Member #:00068

by Heather Forcier on Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:55 am
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
These Horned Puffins are extremely cute and endearing. To get the pair like this is a treat. I like how they're at different levels on the ledge, and both looking out over the sea. Where exactly on the island was this (which cliffs)? Just curious.

I don't think it's quite as flawed as you say, it's got a lot of good qualities to it. The only major thing for me is the really light section in the background - just a touch too bright and a little distracting for me.

Hope you had a great trip!
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

by Greg Downing on Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:05 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Looks like a familiar spot ;) Inner Reef wall right? I like the shot but what is the bright stuff in the background? If it's waves I would have tried to wait until they went back out. Otherwise I would have tried to change my position slightly in order to hide the bright area, but this is just a minor nit as it does provide a sense of environment (just many ways to look at it). The contrast is a bit high but, as you know, less flash could have helped a bit. Tough to get detail in those blacks! Nice job :)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Piotr Biegaj on Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:59 am
Piotr Biegaj
Forum Contributor
Hi,
I like composition and coloures. Picture is divide into two parts. Light and dark. Birds are exactly between these parts and that makes the pics stronger. Rocks are full of srangh and "white" birds compose very well with rocks.
I'm not sure if I can express all what I want to say but besides the great composition I can see some blur on pics...? Is this the scanning efect...?

congratulation and good light
piotr biegaj, iczek

by Wayne Ellis on Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:32 am
Wayne Ellis
Forum Contributor
Good composition.
Comments and reposts welcome

Wayne Ellis

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:40 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I like the comp a lot but wish for the background to be a little cleaner like Greg said. A little more USM would improve this one a lot I think.

by Alan Murphy on Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:10 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Great shot James. Looks a little contrasty to me.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by LHays on Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:24 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Several good suggestions have already been made. Still.....I love Puffin shots and know how hard they are to get. You've done a fine job with this one.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Bill Whala on Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:53 am
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
This is one of the nicer Puffin on a Cliff photos I have seen. I love the composition.
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by James McIntyre on Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:28 am
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Member #:00068
Lots of comments to answer here, so I'll just try to respond in order:

HF & GD:
I think the location was Outer Reef Point in the evening. That would explain the angle and the sea I think. But my notes say Zapadni from the next morning - perhaps a carryover roll. I don't remember using flash up there. Can't be sure 3 years later.

The whites in the background are certainly waves breaking on the shore below. I'm sure I was focusing on the birds' 'cute posture' when I shot this, not timing waves.

I had to really work hard in PS to bring up any details at all from the very dark background - multiple screen layers. I thought the waves added 'habitat atmosphere'. It would certainly be easy to tone 'em down a bit. Well see how the picture prints.

Sometimes hard to get a good shooting spot at Outer Reef with a large group. If I remember correctly, I was at the very edge of the cliff!

PB:
Welcome from Poland, Piotr!. This picture was cropped quite a bit and I was amazed the detail and sharpness held up as well as it did in the scan. The blur on the foreground rocks is certainly a depth-of-field problem. At the time, all this equipment was brand new and I had been brainwashed into shooting at or very near maximum aperture.

EJ:
I sharpened this picture with Nik Sharpener Pro, with which I'm sure you're familiar. I ended up using the Large Poster setting (Sharpening rad ~4.9 pxls), which is usually way too much. We'll see how the sharpness holds up in a large print. After comparing with Greg's CLIFF EDGE pic, I really popped the saturation - again unusual for me. I may also have overdone the contrast here, after having been severely taken to task for my recent 'blah' Sage-grouse picture.

WE, AM, LH & BW:
Thanks also for your comments. I think your points are already answered in my reponse above.

by Jim Zipp on Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:32 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
James,
Some of the technicals may need work but the image itself is wonderful. I like the comp and the waves don't bother me at all. Nice shot.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by AlexC on Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:58 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
I agree with Jim, Not perfect but a lot better than any Puffin I have, I can account for ZERO perched puffins and a couple of lousy swimming ones, I can only wish I had something this nice!!! Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Anthony Medici on Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:56 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I thought this was kinda nice. The breasts have plenty of detail to me so I don't consider them too bright. And I agree with Alex, better than anything I have. Cute shot. :)
Tony

13 posts |