Purple gallinule (Porphyrio porphyrio) - captive

Posted by Alexandre Vaz on Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:58 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
This is a Purple gallinule from a reproduction center. They are being reintroduced near Coimbra (Portugal) were they became extinct may years ago.
I manged to make some images without clipping anything buy I don't have them digitized :x .
They move so fast inside their huge cages that makes it really hard to frame them without showing the ugly fences.
I used Velvia and flash.
Thanks for looking.

Posted by:
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor

by Bill Whala on Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:09 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
The angle is a little steep and I would like to see all of the bird. If you wouldn't mind, please list the equipment used so we can give a better critique.
These are such pretty birds. You captured the colors very well.
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by Karen S on Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:47 pm
Karen S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00021
Cool bird. What awesome colors they have.
[b]Karen B. Schindeldecker[/b]
[b]NSN 0021 [/b]
[url=http://www.natureswildlight.com][b]Nature's Wild Light [/b][/url]
[b]Minnesota, USA[/b]

by Alan Murphy on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:12 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
William, great colors on this bird.

For such a large bird, this is very tight in the frame. If the bird was looking into the space, it might feel less tight. But as his bill is almost touching the edge, I feel this gives the bird no room. Only the head is in focus, therefore again, pushing the viewer over to the right edge on the frame.

The exposure is excellent, especially as you used flash. The eye is razor sharp. I would like to know what compensation you used on the flash and the F-Stop used too.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by LHays on Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:03 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
William
There have been a lot of good suggestions made. Giving the technicals will certainly allow others to help you more. The colors are beautiful and the eye is very sharp. It sounds like a very difficult shooting situation but visiting again will give you more opportunities. It sometimes takes me several visits until I can figure it all out. Keep trying...you have the right idea.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Alexandre Vaz on Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:10 am
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor
Actually I don't remember very well if I shot with a 300f4 IS or with a 75-300, but it was one of the two. If I remember correctly I used no flash compensation, but I may used probably 0.5 exposure compensation. My flash is the 550EX.
One of my problems was not using a very wide aperture to have more DOF, but having enough speed to freeze a bird that was constantly moving.
This session was meant for a very small Geographica (NGM-Portugal) that was already published, so I'm not planing to work this subject again on a near Future. In this facilities, they had probably 10 birds, in big cages (probably 100m2) with on or two birds each. Some of them are so aggressive that if you approach the fence the jump with their feet toward you.

by AlexC on Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:02 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Great colors and a lovely bird, the rest you already know!!! Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Anthony Medici on Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:07 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Looks like it would be worth the time you spent trying. I can't wait to see the other ones. Looks like a very nice bird. :)
Tony

by Heather Forcier on Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:43 pm
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
Glad to hear of the attempts to reintroduce these gallinules. They are really beautiful birds. Your did well to catch the beautiful colors, although I find the angle a bit steep and a bit more depth of field would be good, too. Sounds like you have more images of these birds, looking forward to seeing them.
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

9 posts |