Satin Bower bird (Australia)

Posted by Wayne Ellis on Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Last night I projected this slide and it is a killer, you wouldn't know it looking at what's on the screen now. I am really frustrated I'm not able to reproduce the quality of the slide to the monitor. :x

Enough sulking, Satin Bowerbirds are really satin in colour, they light up in full sun, just like the cloth. Photographing them is hard work, one needs enough light for them to "shine" but not to much to blow out the Bg and surroundings.

Jock is the biggest, toughest and boldest of the males in this patch of Bunya Mountains.

Enjoy, comments and reposts welcome.
Comments and reposts welcome

Wayne Ellis

Posted by:
Wayne Ellis
Forum Contributor

by AlexC on Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:13 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
I feel for you, scanning is an art unto itself, this is indeed a wonderful bird with incredible colors, so sorry it does not show it's true magnificence as posted!!!, Still a wonderful bird with incredible and creative matting habits!!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Bill Whala on Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:21 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Wayne,

Looks like the harsh light was not working with you here. If it is possible to shoot this bird in a bright overcast condition the iridescence will show without such a high contrast to the dark plumage. Iridescent birds are among the toughest to get everything right.

The pose is nice and his "collection" is humorous. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by Alan Murphy on Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:11 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Wayne, Looks a little contrasty. But a great photo of a killer bird. I'd like to know if this is film or digital. Please include the equipment used and the techs if you have them, It really help to give better feedback, thanks. :)
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Peterh on Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:40 am
Peterh
Forum Contributor
Wayne,

if I remember, I saw a better version of this shot a while ago. Indeed a bit harsh. The blues are over the top on my monitor. I'm in the same frustrating zone as you are :wink:

Peter
[b]http://www.peterdenhartog.com[/b]

by Heather Forcier on Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:14 am
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
Scanning is tough. As much time as I've spent working with scanned slides, I have a really hard time with contrast, color casts, and other issues.

Looks like you've got great detail in the blacks. I'd love to hear more about these birds, what's the debris around it on the ground?
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

by Jill on Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:49 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Wayne, You've got a fabulous shot of this fellow!! The scan needs improvement, admittedly. Satin Bowerbirds are well known for their spectacular bowers (built by the males) decorated with just about any blue object possible. I especially adore Jock's blue china dish!!
Jill Rosenfield

by Anthony Medici on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:32 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Keep working at it. The image definitely looks to be worth it. I don't scan but in the digital camera world, I would try lowering the contrast and then bring it back up to an acceptable level. Might work for scanning too.
Tony

8 posts |