Venison is Good Stuff!

Posted by Arthur Morris on Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
My friend Neil Kaufman invited me to his home in Kentucky to do Blue Jays. We sucked dirty pond water for a while; those birds are WARY! Anyway, Neil is a great bow hunter and we've been chowing down on deer burgers, deer meat loaf, and venison tenderloins. The stuff is killer good. And great for you. Duly energized, I've been spending whole days in the blind and finally got a good one.

Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens with 1.4X II TC and EOS 1Ds. ISO 250> Exposure set in Manual Mode at 1/125 sec. at f/10 was -2/3 on the ambient. Fill flash at -2/3. All comments welcome.

Best and great picture-making to all, Artie
Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

Posted by:
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member

by Jim Urbach on Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:57 pm
Jim Urbach
Lifetime Member
Member #:00049
Art,

The exposure is right on and the jay is great , but I'm not crazy about the perch. Your punishment is more time in the blind eating venison.

Jim
Enjoy viewing

Jim Urbach

http://www.jimurbach.smugmug.com

http://jimurbach.smugmug.com

by Laura Stiefel on Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:54 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
Hi Artie.

I think this is very nice. :) I love the background and the alert looking bird. A pair of Blue Jays wake me up every morning. They're as tame as can be as I look at them through my bedroom window- until I break out the camera. I think they're camera shy. :roll:
we've been chowing down on deer burgers, deer meat loaf, and venison tenderloins. The stuff is killer good. And great for you.
It is good. But I usually have to be tricked into eating it! This actually looks just a tad bit dark on my monitor. I like the perch BTW.
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Alan Murphy on Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:54 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Nice shot Artie.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Juli Wilcox on Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:28 am
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
I like the fact that anyone ever gets a bluejay! There's quite a bit of feather detail that might be seen better if the slight blue tinge in the whites were removed by adjusting the white point in Curves. Adjusting the gray point to strictly neutral (128-128-128) and clicking around the eye will bring out further definition and that also helps to reduce the flash line which can be seen under the belly against the bark.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by Brian L. Zwiebel on Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:11 am
Brian L. Zwiebel
Forum Contributor
Hi Artie,

Nice bird and BG, I don't hate the perch but I'm not totally thrilled with it etiher.

Why so much (-2/3) on the fill flash? Not that I know a darn thing about digital.

I've got to get after these guys this fall. Normally they pose on a beautiful perch when I am set to shoot Chickadees. Can't hardly cram them in the frame!!

BZ

by Greg Downing on Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:59 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Not one of your best but then it's not such an easy bird. I too am not crazy about the perch but I also find the very dark green not complimentary for this bird, particularly as dark as it is. That being said you caught the bird in a nice pose. I too am curious why so much flash, -2/3 is my starting point for flash-as-main with digital...
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Karen S on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:00 pm
Karen S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00021
Sweet shot Arthur! Great pose, nice perch and really pretty BG.
[b]Karen B. Schindeldecker[/b]
[b]NSN 0021 [/b]
[url=http://www.natureswildlight.com][b]Nature's Wild Light [/b][/url]
[b]Minnesota, USA[/b]

by Arthur Morris on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:04 pm
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member

Jeez, I really liked this image till I found out on NSN how bad it really is!
I made it lighter for Laura, adjusted the white point iwith LEVELS eyedropper (not CURVES), I set the grey point in LEVELS eyedropper and clicked around the face... Finally, on my own I lassoed the face and head and lightened only that in levels.

As for the perch, I love that too. Heck, we drove 200 miles to find it and then another 200 miles back to Neil's back yard!

Is this version better or worse???

Best and love to all,

Artie
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

by Greg Downing on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:16 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
It's only about 18 million times better! It just goes to show that post processing is so important when shooting digital (or when digitizing a non-digital image). The image shows a little noise from the adjustment, but otherwise well done!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Laura Stiefel on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:26 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
I like it better! The lighter background really seems to bring out the bird more. :)
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Richard on Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:50 pm
Richard
Forum Contributor
Artie,

What an interesting image! How did you get the jay to wrap itself around the perch. It looks like the feathers on the birds crown is behind the perch and the body is in front. I like the lighter version, gives better separation between the bird and background. Very nice!
[b]Richard Hogg[/b]
[email]richard@naturephotographs.net[/email]
[url=http://www.naturephotographs.net]www.naturephotographs.net[/url]
[b]NSN 0093[/b]

by Anthony Medici on Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:16 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Much better on the second one. I guess you were just testing everyone to see if they would comment on the presentation. :wink:
Tony

by Arthur Morris on Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:46 am
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member
Hi Gang, Thanks to all, especially to Julie, for helping me improve this one. (I think that I did what Julie wanted though I achieved the results using methods that worked for me...) No, Tony, I was not testing folks; the big lesson that I learned here is that I am too easily carried away by with the Saturation slider! <smile>

Actually, I cloned out a huge branch from the LRC and wanted to see if any of the Photoshop police noticed it! At least I succeeded there, and plus, I learned a ton.

Best, Artie
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

14 posts |