Meadowlark

Posted by Rob Palmer on Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:16 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
This is a typical image of a Meadowlark, but I wanted to post it to get opinions on the lens I used. This was taken with a Sigma 120-300 2.8 lens with stacked Canon converters (1.4 and 2.0). I think the image is a bit soft but not bad for an effective focal length of 840 mm. Any thoughts? I am still considering the lens.

Canon 1D, 120-300 2.8, Manual focus, ISO 200, F 7.1 (the camera does not read the 1.4) 1/800 sec.
Rob Palmer
[url]http://www.falconphotos.com/gallery/7385039_qUuth#!i=774854059&k=Uuoef[/url]

Posted by:
Rob Palmer
Forum Contributor

by ajhand on Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:52 am
ajhand
Forum Contributor
Rob:

This is pretty soft, but I'm not sure I would blame it on the lens. It's hard to get things sharp at 840 under any conditions. Doing it with stacked converters only makes it worse. I have to admit I have NEVER gotten a decent image stacking converters with my Canon 500 IS, a stabilized lens known to be sharp.

aj

by Alan Murphy on Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:09 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Rob, I agree with A.J. This does not represent what the lens can do. This is not just soft but has a muddy feel to it.

As for the photo. I would like to see it cropped closer to the left of the bird with more space in front of the bird. Some FF would have helped with the details in the darks caused from the sidelighting. A little on the steep side, but with 840 MM I guess you were back enough to lessen the angle. Its also a little dark to me. Boy, did I ever beat you up :)

Its still a nice shot of a Juvinile.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Ken Newcombe on Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:57 pm
Ken Newcombe
Forum Contributor
Rob,

Not knowing how much if any USM you applied it is hard to tell the softeness amount. If no USM was applied I would say it looked about normal for a digital camera output w/o sharpening. Stoping down 1-2 stops always improves sharpness with TCs.

by Anthony Medici on Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:34 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
If you're planning to spend a lot of time at 840mm, maybe the Sigma 300-800 would be better for you. Although it weighs a bunch and wouldn't be as easy to cart around. :)

Why not spend some time sitting at the edge of a pond where some ducks or Canada geese are. Then shoot without the converters to see what the lens will really do.
Tony

by Bill Whala on Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:50 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
This is a cute little bird. I agree with Tony that if you have the opportunity to shoot some ducks and geese w/o converters then try with converters and compare the difference.
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by LHays on Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:00 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Rob
It definitely has a soft look to it but the colors are splendid. I don't know anything about the lens so I can't really comment there but the suggestion of trying for some ducks or geese makes a lot of sense. For what it's worth....I've never had a picture turn out yet using stacked converters. I know that it can be done.....I just haven't had any success with it. I think it's because of the manual focus....my eyes just aren't that good.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Sandy Mossberg on Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:32 am
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
A lovely bird, Rob. Here's my take on your comments. Zoom lenses are simply not comparable to primes. Stacking converters on zooms is an iffy proposition. Even with perfect long lens technique, you'd be fortunate to get a sharp, crisp image. The focal length of 840mm is not very great for avian photography. I have used up to 3200mm with a prime lens and stacked converters and have obtained critically sharp images. Using a prime along with near-perfect technique is the bottom line IMO.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

8 posts |