Black Bellied Whistling Duck

Posted by LindaY on Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Yesterday while I was out running some errands, I went by one of our small mid-town lakes just to see what ducks might be there and happened to notice a different species than I had ever seen before. I hurried home and grabbed by camera and tripod and went back out to the same spot and shot some photos. When I checked my field guide, I found out that the ducks that I saw were these Black Bellied Whistling Ducks. From what I understand this is a little far north for these guys, but then I have seen several species of waterfowl here that traditionally are not listed as some of our native Oklahoma birds. Canon D60, EF 70-200 f4.0L, Canon 1.4x teleextender, ISO 200, f5.6, 1/180 sec.
Linda Yee

Posted by:
LindaY
Forum Contributor

by Anthony Medici on Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:49 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I do like the pose and the image does make it easy to identify the bird. A lot of little things could be improved here though. The face is in partial sunlight. All of it in or none of it in would be better. The patterns in the background are very bright and distracting. And the placement might have been better very slightly to the left in the frame.

If you could have capture the bird at a slightly lower angle with the green at the left as the basic background, this would be quite good.
Tony

by Karen S on Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:20 pm
Karen S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00021
Nice Duck, love the BG
[b]Karen B. Schindeldecker[/b]
[b]NSN 0021 [/b]
[url=http://www.natureswildlight.com][b]Nature's Wild Light [/b][/url]
[b]Minnesota, USA[/b]

by Alan Murphy on Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:45 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Nice comp. I wish all the water was that green and I wish the bird was in the light too. Its a little tight near the foot. I would lighten the body in PS a bit. Nice shot.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Bill Whala on Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:42 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Linda,

This is a very nice image. The spotlight effect on his face looks good, IMO. My only real nit is the dark reflection below the bill. I'm wondering what a couple steps to your left would have produced.

Overall, a very nice image. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Welcome to NatureScapes Linda. Always a beautiful duck - the BBWD - this is a nice shot. Alan made some good observations. The multi-colored water doesn't bother me though althoug a shooting angle that eliminates the dark reflection in the water would be good.

by Chip Estabrooks on Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:03 pm
Chip Estabrooks
Forum Contributor
One of my favorite ducks. Some good advice posted above.
Chip
Chip Estabrooks
Rocky Creek Ranch, Missouri
"Hillbilly Heaven"

NSN-0094

by Sheri Whala on Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:13 pm
Sheri Whala
Forum Contributor
Very nice duck! I would love to have a shot of one of these guys!
Sheri Whala
Littleton, CO
NSN 0192

by LindaY on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:38 pm
LindaY
Forum Contributor
Thanks to all of you for your comments and tips. I am fairly new to bird photography so I do have a lot to learn. This one was shot toward mid-day...not my favorite time to shoot because of the light, but I wanted to be sure and catch one of these beauties as I had not seen them in this area before. Tulsa is on one of the major migratory paths for lots of ducks and geese as well as other birds, so I will start making the rounds of the area lakes next weekend. Perhaps I get get some more shots of this duck as well as some of our other fall visitors. :wink:
Linda Yee

by LHays on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:48 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
I think you did very well with this one. Some good suggestions and observations have already been made. I love the ducks...all ducks. You should have some good shooting coming up soon so I'd definitely start checking out locations now. Good job!
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

10 posts |