GREATER SAGE-GROUSE - FAMILY PORTRAIT

Posted by James McIntyre on Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Title: GREATER SAGE-GROUSE - FAMILY PORTRAIT, DAWN
Species: Greater Sage-Grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus)
Photographer: James McIntyre
Date: April, 2002
Equipment: Canon EOS-1VHS/EF 600 mm F/4L IS USM + 2.0x I TE/Gitzo 1548 + Wimberley Head
Film: Fuji Provia 100F
Evaluative Metering: +1/3
Scanner: Nikon LS-2000
Scanning Software: LaserSoft SilverFast Ai v4.0 (IT8 calibrated)

Every spring, as the snow begins to leave the high desert country of northern Utah, one of Nature's most remarkable exhibitions may be observed. Each day before dawn, dozens of Greater Sage-Grouse assemble on their ancestral lek to begin their traditional courtship and mating ritual. Grouse cocks raise their spiked tail feathers in a crownlike fan, throw their heads back and inflate the large air sacs on their white-ruffed breasts. Suddenly they clasp their wings forward in a rapid motion and emit a loud two-note descending call, "BOOL - DUP!", that can be heard a quarter-mile away. This display is repeated again and again.

Only a few dominant males are successful in attracting females. Once having mated, the diminutive hens retreat silently into the sage brush to raise their broods of chicks as single moms. A few hopeful bachelors linger briefly after sunrise, facing off and staging mock fights. Then they too vanish into the brush to avoid the talons of hungry Golden Eagles.

An hour after dawn, there is no trace of the remarkable event just witnessed.

Posted by:
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Member #:00068

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Looks like this could be a nice shot but the photo has almost no contrast. Hope you don't mind I took the liberty of correcting the image and removing the blue cast. The image has been removed from my hard drive:

by AlexC on Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:54 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Wonderful capture, I am pretty sure the slide is excellent , as scanned it lacks contrast but you know that already!!! Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by Bill Whala on Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:56 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
This has a Grant Wood feel to it for me. :D I love the poses and the birds positions in the fame. E.J.'s repost helped with the contrast issue.
Otherwise this is excellent.
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by Alan Murphy on Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:14 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
james, Love all the colors and textures in this scene. You had a tough lighting situation here, If you could get the sun behind you, there would be less contrast issues. A great photo.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Chip Estabrooks on Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:34 pm
Chip Estabrooks
Forum Contributor
You've heard the comments. It's a scene I'd love to photograph.
Chip
Chip Estabrooks
Rocky Creek Ranch, Missouri
"Hillbilly Heaven"

NSN-0094

by Anthony Medici on Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:55 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Great scene that I don't think the scan does justice to. I'd love to see the slide. Well seen.
Tony

by LHays on Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:50 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
I, too think that you must have lost a great deal in the scan. I think it's a very interesting image.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by James McIntyre on Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:11 pm
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Member #:00068
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Looks like this could be a nice shot but the photo has almost no contrast. Hope you don't mind I took the liberty of correcting the image and removing the blue cast. The image has been removed from my hard drive:
Thanks to EJ and all who commented on my GSG picture.

I think most of the perceived contrast and scan problems were monitor-related. When I edited the original pic in PS, I was using a ViewSonic PT813 aperture-grille monitor calibrated with Adobe Gamma at Gamma = 2.2. If you were viewing with a MAC with Gamma = 1.8, then the picture would indeed probably seem to lack contrast. I actually boosted the overall contrast slightly in PS with an S-curve (59/64,128/128,197/202). I thought anything more was too much.

Also, I had already desaturated the blues in the birds and foreground shadows: -50(150/180-210\240). I think this was a problem with my old Nikon LS-2000 scanner. A global correction would have been better in retrospect. But there is not much if any blue in the background area, e.g. above the cock's head, so the claim there is an overall blue cast to the picture is, I think, unfounded.

I 've just recalibrated my monitor with ColorVision SpyderPRO with Optical. Now the picture in PS lacks a little contrast with the original curve compensation, but still looks quite good - to my eyes. The main problem with the original was too low a black point setting. I also checked the PDI reference target again. The old calibration was pretty darn close. With the new calibration, a very slight magenta cast was removed. That's about it. The biggest difference is that I can now see NatureScape pictures like Harvey Edelman's fine Reddish Egret picture as they're intended to look. My old monitor profile was apparently too contrasty.

ASAP I'll rescan the original slide with my new Nikon 4000 ED and repost.

But I've gotta make a final comment:

Aaargh!!! EJ, what did you do to my beeyootiful grouse picture? Was that some kind of weird Halloween joke? Your version looks absolutely garish on my monitor! I've never seen an ORANGE sage-grouse! I'm calling your version EJ'S NIGHTMARE ON THE SAGEBRUSH STEPPE.

So I'm gonna call you out in Soccorro in November! Meet me at the BLACK DOG CORRAL at HIGH NOON and be packin' your monitor. We're gonna shoot it out. Loser buys lunch. :x

Jim McIntyre

9 posts |