Ett Bobbinger and I...

Posted by Arthur Morris on Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:45 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
met at the East Pond at JBWR last Sunday morning as I was in NYC briefly for my sister's kid's wedding. (It was good that Bob was there as all of my flash cards were in the motel 60 miles away...) It was gloomy at first, then it started to rain, and then by the time that we got to the Raunt, it was pouring. We covered up our rigs, snuggled back into the phragmites a bit and chatted about life and digital storage issues with external hard drives... Bob is quite knowledgeable about computers. We gave up after an hour, then headed back. Not wanting my NY trip to be for naught, I took the plastic bag and the wool hats off of my lens, camera, and flash, and walked up on a few birds. This juvie Pectoral Sandpiper was feeding actively so I squeaked him and he posed for an instant. (Bob always teases me about my squeaking but it worked perfectly here.)

The 1Ds is amazing as there is little grain evident at ISO 1250 (at least to my eye...) Canon EF 500mm F/4 L IS lens, EOS 1Ds, & 2X II TC. ISO 1250, Evalutaive Metering -1/3 stop: 1/200 sec. at f/10. AI servo. Fill flash at -2/3 with (a very wet) Better Beamer.

All comments welcome. Best and great picture-making to all, Artie
Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

Posted by:
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member

by Jim Zipp on Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:59 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Hey Artie, Talk about never giving up! Most would have been back in the parking lot waiting out the rain or at the diner. This image has a different feel to it with the rain that isn't often seen. Nice work as usual.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by jnadler on Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:12 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Artie: the bird's position and place in the frame are perfect. I do find the oof vertical object just at the upper right of the bird's head to draw some attention. I'd be tempted to clone it away. Regards.

by Alan Murphy on Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:37 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
This is killing me as I can't go digital yet. Looking at the tech's, this is why I want to go digital so bad.

Great photo Artie, Love the rain. You wern't lying down, were you?
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Heather Forcier on Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:49 pm
Heather Forcier
Site Co-Founder
Member #:00003
Pretty cool, love the rain drops. ISO 1250? Incredible!
[b]NatureScapes.Net Site Co-Founder
[url=http://www.hforcier.com/][u]Website[/u][/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/heatherforcier/photos][u]500px Gallery[/u][/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/117191412635501853092/][u]Google+[/u][/url][/b]

by Bill Keown on Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:31 pm
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
Your tenacity never ceases to amaze. Lovely photo.

Bill Keown

by Greg Downing on Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:44 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Definitely tenasacious....I like the image but would prefer less flash on the bird.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Bob Ettinger on Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:01 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Artie,

At least we had a good time. I am still wet :D By the way since I assume that the CF got lost in the mail, I will take the 1Ds in exchange. :D I think that is fair. :D :D

By the way nice shot.

Dripping wet,

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Artie, how are you doing the conversion - probably with some sort of noise reduction in your RAW conversion program. Native with no noise reduction I find the 1Ds to be very noisy above 400 but some of the smart noise reduction algorithms like the one in Breeze Browser cleans it up pretty well. This shot certainly does not look like it was taken at such a high ISO. You could probably reduce the flashed look if you wanted to by combining this with a linear conversion. That would tone down some of the highlights in the water too.

by matt kuchta on Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:42 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
I find myself slightly distracted by the oof pink, but I like the water droplets on the bird. The rain is a very nice addition too.
-matt
NSN 0017

by Wil Hershberger on Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:05 pm
Wil Hershberger
Forum Contributor
What a great shot. I too am anxious to learn how you converted this photo. I have found the 1Ds to be noisy at the higher ISOs. This looks like it was taken in the 200 ISO range. Please let us in on your secret.
[url=http://www.cricketman.blogspot.com][b]Wil Hershberger[/b][/url] | [b]NSN0025[/b]
[url=http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/workshops/index.html][b]Nature Images and Sounds Nature Photography Workshops[/b][/url]

by Bruce DiVaccaro on Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:47 pm
Bruce DiVaccaro
Forum Contributor
Artie,

You captured a very nice pose. I like what the rain adds to the image.
Bruce DiVaccaro
Sheffield Village, Ohio
NSN 135

by Laura Stiefel on Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:27 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
Pretty inspirational tenacity. :) I like the mood the falling rain adds. I would also be interested in learning how you converted this. The lack of noise seems amazing for ISO 1250.
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by Arthur Morris on Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:28 pm
Arthur Morris
Lifetime Member
To All, Thanks for your thoughts/comments/questions.

#1: I too hate the pink--I think it is a faded saltmarsh fleabane stalk... I tried several methods of getting rid of it but was not happy with any of them...

#2 Conversion was via Breezebrowser, the only conversion program I've ever used... It is not entirely the program however, as I have some !D images made at a wedding without flash at 3200 ISO that are super noisy (even though they were converted in Breezebrowser...) Images made with flash were nowhere near as noisy. I assume that is because the flash "filled" the individual pixels with light... My understanding is that noise is a result of pixels that are not filled with light... Can anyone confirm that EJ?

#3: I do not think that I used too much flash as it if barely noticeable in the converted image. I think that I increased the contrast a bit too much in levels...

Best and great picture-making to all, Artie
Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART
www.BIRDSASART-blog.com

by Chris Valentine on Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:34 pm
Chris Valentine
Forum Contributor
I clicked on this picture before seeing who the photographer was...I thought..."there's dedication, even in the pouring rain that photographer is still on task". Then looked at the photographer's name and all became clear...

Your passion for bird photography continues to inspire me!
Chris Valentine
Liberty, MO

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Arthur Morris wrote:#2 Conversion was via Breezebrowser, the only conversion program I've ever used... It is not entirely the program however, as I have some !D images made at a wedding without flash at 3200 ISO that are super noisy (even though they were converted in Breezebrowser...) Images made with flash were nowhere near as noisy. I assume that is because the flash "filled" the individual pixels with light... My understanding is that noise is a result of pixels that are not filled with light... Can anyone confirm that EJ?
Hmm, never thought about it so I am working it out here online in my head as I type... Noise is increased as the ISO increased because the signal getting to the sensor is less and less and is getting closer to the noise threshold. When you then retrieve the image, the light has to be amplified more resulting in not only the signal but the noise being amplified and thereby resulting in more visible noise. In other words, the signal to noise ratio gets smaller the higher the ISO so the signal and noise boost has to get higher to see the image. Now when you add flash, you do lighten up the dark areas to some degree, thereby reducing contrast and leaving less signal close to the noise level - so areas that were lightened due to the use of flash would show somewhat less noise but I would think this would be a fairly small difference.

In any case, BB in its default instalation applies noise reduction - I usually turn this option off at ISO 400 and below because it really slows down the conversion.

by Anthony Medici on Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:54 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Out testing the weather proofing of your equipment. I was wondering what those little vertical lines were. Rain! Glad to see that you got a second digital body to play with. :wink:
Tony

17 posts |