Hunting Tricolor

Posted by Rich S on Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 

Another shot from Greg's March workshop. My favorite bird of the trip, even if the shots leave a little to be desired. (He wouldn't quite turn his head toward me, too intent on fishing.) Hunted repeatedly in a gator filled canal only a few feet away.

1Ds, 100-400 at 260, 1/1250 at f5.7, ISO 250

Rich

P.S. Whites weren't cooked initially (at about 245) but appear to have gone over the top when sharpening. Anyone else notice that when going using USM at 100/.2/1 multiple times?

Posted by:
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019

by Juli Wilcox on Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:32 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
Rich---nice catch on a bird I saw from a distance (a mile) once. :D you might try Amount 100/Radius 0.2/Threshold 0 for bird and furry creature USM and you may see a difference. This is very effective for small jpg file such as are prepared for web posting. Then if there is a spot that needs to be sharpened a bit more, you might try the lasso and one extra shot of USM at the same formula. Yes, sharpening does send the whites over at times because it increases the highlight-like halo around pixel groups which increases the perception of sharpness.
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by AlexC on Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:46 pm
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
Cliff jumper!!!
I can watch them for hours, I know some who are so tame that they get between my feet while fishing, to be startled by the flash when it goes off!!
Very nice dive, whites to edge, a tad soft but PS can help!! Congrats!! 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by matt kuchta on Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:23 am
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
I like the frozen moment of midair spread. Advice offered previously will help make this pop even more.
-matt
NSN 0017

by Sandy Mossberg on Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:34 am
Sandy Mossberg
Lifetime Member
Nice action, Rich. The whites are hot as you noted. I use the same parameters that you do for USM and have not noticed that sharpening converts good whites to bad whites, unless one is dealing with individual drops of water where this phenomenon certainly occurs.
Sandy Mossberg
Boynton Beach, Florida, USA
[url=http://www.sandymossberg.com][b]SandyMossberg.com[/b][/url]
NSN 0015

by Jim Probst on Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:06 pm
Jim Probst
Forum Contributor
Rich,

The action is great! Nice timing. I like it!

by Bill Whala on Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:07 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
I love the exact moment of capture here. The one foot anchored to the bank, the other reaching for a safe landing. Compositionally beautiful. I always seem to toast the whites when sharpening also but mine are from film scans.

Excellent photo. :)
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

7 posts |