fbpixel

Red-necked Phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus)


Posted by Swissblad on Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Image
Breeding roles are reversed in this species, the females are bright and colourful, the males dull and drab. The former does the courting and the latter takes care of the clutch.

They also have a unique way of gathering food, in that they swim in tight erratic circles, forcing insects to the surface, where they are eagerly gobbled up.

Flickr file

Nikon D500 with Nikkor 500mm PF.

User avatar
Posted by:
Swissblad
Forum Contributor

Posts: 1715
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Connect with me:
Flickr 500px

   

by david fletcher on Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 am
User avatar
david fletcher
Moderator
Posts: 30064
Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Location: UK
Member #:00525
Lovely capture Sinuhe.  Love the info and such clear water.  Almost as if it'll be able to see the insects as they surface.  The large view a must to enjoy at its best.
Make your life spectacular!
 

by Swissblad on Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:12 am
User avatar
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1715
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
david fletcher wrote:
Lovely capture Sinuhe.  Love the info and such clear water.  Almost as if it'll be able to see the insects as they surface.

Thanks David, it was wonderful to see this rare species up so close. 
 

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:04 am
User avatar
Axel Hildebrandt
Forum Contributor
Posts: 18553
Joined: 28 Nov 2005
Location: Coopersburg, PA
Great to find one, especially at such a close distance.
Axel Hildebrandt
 

by Carol Clarke on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 am
User avatar
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Posts: 69325
Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Location: Lincolnshire, UK. In tune with Nature.
Member #:00067
Isn't she a little beauty! What a lovely find - and image, Sinuhe. So rare to see one of these, let alone get a nice photo.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.


"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067
 

by Swissblad on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:00 am
User avatar
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1715
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Carol Clarke wrote:
Isn't she a little beauty!  What a lovely find - and image, Sinuhe.  So rare to see one of these, let alone get a nice photo.

Carol.


Thank you Carol....I only found out later that this was the female ;)

We were very pleased that 2 of these birds came close enough to get a decent photo - on previous occasions we were not so fortunate.
 

by Swissblad on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:02 am
User avatar
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1715
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Axel Hildebrandt wrote:
Great to find one, especially at such a close distance.


Thank you Axel - we were indeed very fortunate this year - normally they don't venture so close.
 

by Carol Clarke on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:12 am
User avatar
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Posts: 69325
Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Location: Lincolnshire, UK. In tune with Nature.
Member #:00067
Swissblad wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:
Isn't she a little beauty!  What a lovely find - and image, Sinuhe.  So rare to see one of these, let alone get a nice photo.

Carol.


Thank you Carol....I only found out later that this was the female ;)

We were very pleased that 2 of these birds came close enough to get a decent photo - on previous occasions we were not so fortunate.


I find that every day is a school day with nature, Sinuhe!  So much detail and info to soak up - that's one of the things that makes it so enjoyable for me.  :)


Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.


"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067
 

by Karl Egressy on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:58 pm
User avatar
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Posts: 37447
Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Member #:00988
Very interesting reversed role. Beautifully captured image.
 

by Swissblad on Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:15 pm
User avatar
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1715
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Karl Egressy wrote:
Very interesting reversed role. Beautifully captured image.


Thank you Karl - appreciated.
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
10 posts | 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group