Golden Winged Warbler (hybridization)

Posted by ADKShooter on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Nikon D850, Nikon 500mm F5.6 pf
ISO 500, 1/1600s, F6.3

Evolution seems to be taking over where the Golden Winged and Blue Winged Warbler's territories overlap.  According to a recent study the two Warbler's share 99.97% of their DNA which makes them essentially the same bird, with the exception being their plumage.  In that regard, the Blue Winged warbler appears to be the dominant species.  In the years to come, the Golden Winged Warbler as we know it plumage wise, will be gone.  I find it a bit sad but it is not the same as extinction, it is just the natural order of nature taking its course.

This image was taken in the same area of the Brewster's Warbler I recently posted and shows the progression of the Blue Winged Warbler plumage on this Golden Winged Warbler.  A "pure" Golden Wing would only have the gold/yellow on his cap and his wing bars.  All the other yellow is part of the generational changes in the area.

Please click for higher resolution.

Posted by:
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167

by david fletcher on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:53 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Marvellous image as it forages for morsels in the branches. Interesting information Warren. Another fine Warbler image/information shot you have shared with us.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:05 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Beautiful, almost wistful pose, with excellent detail and information, as always, Warren.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:18 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Nice to see these different variants, Warren. At least this one has the black chin. Beautifully posed shot!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Axel Hildebrandt on Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:55 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Interesting to see the changing plumage, I didn't know that the regular plumage is going to disappear.
Axel Hildebrandt

by peter makuch on Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:28 am
peter makuch
Forum Contributor
Member #:02075
a very well presented image to show us the different looking species of warbler's from your local hot spot area, good stuff WARREN.

by paul fletcher on Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:44 pm
paul fletcher
Forum Contributor
Member #:02174
A wonderful image with a very complete text regarding the warbler. I would assume that regions where the ranges don't overlap, would produce " pure " Golden Wings, and we would have to study breeding range maps of each species to determine this. The Province of Manitoba apparently has pure GoldenWings, as the range of the Blue Wings is a considerable distance away from that of the Manitoba birds. So perhaps that situation could change depending on any Blue Winged expansion. This aside, a very special photograph, Warren.

by ADKShooter on Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:49 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
paul fletcher wrote:A wonderful image with a very complete text regarding the warbler. I would assume that regions where the ranges don't overlap, would produce " pure " Golden Wings, and we would have to study breeding range maps of each species to determine this. The Province of Manitoba apparently has pure GoldenWings, as the range of the Blue Wings is a considerable distance away from that of the Manitoba birds. So perhaps that situation could change depending on any Blue Winged expansion.  This aside, a very special photograph, Warren.
Paul, your comments are spot on.  Where there is no overlap in range there is no chance for hybridization.  However, as the Blue Winged Warbler is expanding its range northward, the chance for hybridization is increasing at an ongoing rate.

8 posts |