Another View

Posted by ADKShooter on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Nikon D500, Nikon 500mm F5.6 pf
ISO 1000, 1,000s, F6.3

This image is a good illustration of the makeup of this type of Brewster Warbler.  It has three out of four of the distinctive ID characteristics of a pure Golden Winged Warbler: gold wing bars and cap, a grey back, and whitish underside devoid of yellow wash.  What it lacks is the black face mask which is so distinctive in the Golden Winged Warbler. In its place is the black eye line of the Blue Winged Warbler. Interesting to note that although this specific bird has more physical characteristics of the Golden Winged Warbler it's song, during the short period of time I spent with it, was that of the Blue Winged Warbler.

Please click for higher resolution.

Posted by:
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167

by david fletcher on Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:30 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
The large view shows off the impeccable details of this Warbler. Lovely shot Warren and thanks again for the info.
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by peter makuch on Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:31 am
peter makuch
Forum Contributor
Member #:02075
this one is the better one, as it shows the whole side profile of this warbler and the habitat works well here, all around nice series of images WARREN.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:09 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Great shot and explanation. Beautiful detail in this one-interesting that it is singing blue-winged song. I wonder if these birds learn their songs or are born with them.Might there be pure blue-wings in the area? We have had both pure blue-wings and hybrids here in the same area...don't remember the songs. .
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by ADKShooter on Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:59 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Great shot and explanation. Beautiful detail in this one-interesting that it is singing blue-winged song. I wonder if these birds learn their songs or are born with them.Might  there be pure blue-wings in the area?  We have had both pure blue-wings and hybrids here in the same area...don't remember the songs. .
I'm not sure if there are pure Blue Wings there as I traveled about 2 hours to get there for the first time after receiving a tip.  I will post an image tomorrow showing a Golden Winged Warbler I took at the same place as the Brewster's to show some significant hybridization. My assumption is that there probably are pure Blue Wings in the general area but I didn't personally see any on that day.

As far as their song, I believe it is an inherited trait. From what I've read it appears some hybrids sing both songs which are somewhat similar in their buzzy nature, but in the case of the hybrid I photographed, it only sang the Blue Wing song and only did so a couple of times during the time I was there.

by Carol Clarke on Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:08 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
The nice thing about seeing all these different poses of the same bird is that we get to see the excellent detail of their markings which are not always evident from just one shot. A lovely collection, Warren!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:16 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Great image to show the characteristics and thanks for explaining the details.
Axel Hildebrandt

by Karl Egressy on Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:10 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Great pose and detail.

by paul fletcher on Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:31 pm
paul fletcher
Forum Contributor
Member #:02174
A fine image, again, Warren.

9 posts |