F2 backcrossed Brewster's Warbler hybrid

Posted by ADKShooter on Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:07 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Nikon D500, Nikon 50mm F5.6 pf
ISO 1000, 1/1000s, F6.3

I realize the title is a bit of a mouthful but I think it accurately describes this specific hybrid between the Blue Winged and Golden Winged Warblers.  It takes a couple of generational circumstances to get to the point of this specific bird. For the warbler aficionados on this site it is probably best to google the title and you will find a lot of interesting commentary and further genomic studies on these hybrids, including this one.

Of the different variations of Brewster hybrids this one is by far my favorite as it appears "clean" to the point of being a separate species, which it is not. I was tipped off as to the approximate whereabouts in western VT. of this particular bird and am grateful for the information.

Please click for higher resolution.

Posted by:
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167

by david fletcher on Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:35 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Super shot Warren. Impressive knowledge and dedication.

If I am understanding it correctly, without too much research, is a hybrid crossing with one of its parents or genetically similar individual of the parent produces the F1 and then a further cross to either the parent or genetically similar individual to the parent produces an F2. (I've picked up Covid -19 yesterday so am a bit fuzzy headed amongst other things...nasty, nasty bug).

Without you and your fellow Warblers input, I would never have picked up this knowledge. It's like a free biology lesson in wildcraft skills. Thanks for that.

That and they don't seem very selective with breeding, as long as they do breed...LOL.
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by peter makuch on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:28 am
peter makuch
Forum Contributor
Member #:02075
a well taken in his own environment and I like the umbrella leave above it's head to this image, good one WARREN.

by Carol Clarke on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:37 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Thank you for sharing this beautiful image (along with all the others I've had the pleasure to view) Warren.  On top of that, you have shared fascinating background info on these wonderful birds!  A real treat to view - and learn, at the same time.  :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by ADKShooter on Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:47 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Super shot Warren.  Impressive knowledge and dedication.  

If I am understanding it correctly, without too much research, is a hybrid crossing with one of its parents or genetically similar individual of the parent produces the F1 and then a further cross to either the parent or genetically similar individual to the parent produces an F2.  (I've picked up Covid -19 yesterday so am a bit fuzzy headed amongst other things...nasty, nasty bug).

Without you and your fellow Warblers input, I would never have picked up this knowledge.  It's like a free biology lesson in wildcraft skills.  Thanks for that.  

That and they don't seem very selective with breeding, as long as they do breed...LOL.
First, and foremost please get better soon !!! 

As far as your question, the way I understand it, to get to the F2 Brewster Warbler, a pure Blue Wing and a pure Golden Wing have to mate and that creates the first generation Brewster's. If the first generation Brewster's then mates with a pure Golden Wing, that creates the F2 backcrossed Brewster's as seen in the image I posted. I'm still not sure if the first generation Brewster's backcrosses and mates with a pure Blue Wing what the resulting characteristics of the bird are.  I need to do some more genomic research on that.  There are MANY variables to this as many of these birds have interbred in the past which leads to other various characteristics.  Most F1 Brewster's have some yellow wash on their underside, which my included image does not, which definitely makes him an F2.

I've done just enough genetic research with these Warblers to be dangerous, lol, as I am still limited in my knowledge but know just enough to know what I am pursuing to photograph.  However, I am confident that my included image is accurate as presented.  Hope this helps.

Again David,I'm sure I speak for all of us, hoping you feel much better soon !!!!

by david fletcher on Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:53 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
ADKShooter wrote:
david fletcher wrote:Super shot Warren.  Impressive knowledge and dedication.  

If I am understanding it correctly, without too much research, is a hybrid crossing with one of its parents or genetically similar individual of the parent produces the F1 and then a further cross to either the parent or genetically similar individual to the parent produces an F2.  (I've picked up Covid -19 yesterday so am a bit fuzzy headed amongst other things...nasty, nasty bug).

Without you and your fellow Warblers input, I would never have picked up this knowledge.  It's like a free biology lesson in wildcraft skills.  Thanks for that.  

First, and foremost please get better soon !!! 

As far as your question, the way I understand it, to get to the F2 Brewster Warbler, a pure Blue Wing and a pure Golden Wing have to mate and that creates the first generation Brewster's. If the first generation Brewster's then mates with a pure Golden Wing, that creates the F2 backcrossed Brewster's as seen in the image I posted. I'm still not sure if the first generation Brewster's backcrosses and mates with a pure Blue Wing what the resulting characteristics of the bird are.  I need to do some more genomic research on that.  There are MANY variables to this as many of these birds have interbred in the past which leads to other various characteristics.  Most F1 Brewster's have some yellow wash on their underside, which my included image does not, which definitely makes him an F2.

I've done just enough genetic research with these Warblers to be dangerous, lol, as I am still limited in my knowledge but know just enough to know what I am pursuing to photograph.  However, I am confident that my included image is accurate as presented.  Hope this helps.

Again David,I'm sure I speak for all of us, hoping you feel much better soon !!!!
Thanks Warren.  Am mighty impressed with your knowledge.  Incredible.  That Covid-19 is just plain nasty. (am keeping an eye on Blood Oxygen levels, and alternating snoozing through the day.... have to surface every now and then... Yesterday had to keep an eye on the England cricket team who were in danger of actually winning a test. They did actually win after a glorious period of coming 2nd every match...  :D..  

Cheers.
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by ADKShooter on Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:01 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
I am a Buffalo Bills fan. I feel your pain, David.  Hopefully this is their year as well !!

Last edited by ADKShooter on Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Karl Egressy on Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:06 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Beautiful image. This is the Hybrid I have pictures of.

by Cindy Marple on Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:16 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Beautiful image of a very interesting bird. The markings are quite pretty. It's cool that we've got access to this sort of genetic information, to understand better these hybrid individuals.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Axel Hildebrandt on Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:25 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Interesting-looking Warbler hybrid, thanks for sharing and the explanation, Warren.
Axel Hildebrandt

by paul fletcher on Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:45 pm
paul fletcher
Forum Contributor
Member #:02174
Regardless of the genetic biology ( I am not an expert by any means, but I believe from what I have read, that your info is correct ), this is an excellent photo of certainly a very uncommon Warbler sub-species, Warren.

11 posts |