Interesting Encounter

Posted by ADKShooter on Sun May 15, 2022 4:30 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Nikon 850, Nikon 500mm F5.6 pf
ISO 640, 1/640s, F7.1

On my recent 3 day birding trip to southern New Jersey I encountered terrible weather, highlighted by gale force winds and unusually cold conditions. While driving near Cape May, at the southern most part of NJ, I encountered this unusual sighting.  These Purple Martins, a large Swallow species, were huddled on the ground, on the edge of pavement, apparently using a communal survival tactic to stay warm.  Since they eat flying insects on the wing they had to do the next best thing to survive so they worked together to stay warm while waiting for better conditions to eat.  While observing this behavior from my car, five more Martins added their bodies to the group. The males are the darker birds and as you can see in the image both genders took equal advantage of the opportunity to stay warm.

Please click for higher resolution.

Posted by:
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167

by Mary Brun on Sun May 15, 2022 6:30 am
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Really gorgeous, I love that iridescent bluish color of them and seeing so many of them grouped together are really beautiful.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun May 15, 2022 6:38 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
That is just amazing, Warren! What a wonderful strategy-I suppose they are "groupies" in any case...? So sorry the conditions were so terrible for your trip. (Meanwhile it was in the F/90s here for several days. Too hot for this time of year. Birds were panting. )
Terrific and unusual behavior shot!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Sun May 15, 2022 6:51 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
What an amazing sighting Warren. Clever things to huddle up like that. Remarkable!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Karl Egressy on Sun May 15, 2022 11:41 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Great observation and excellent presentation of it. Unfortunately I have seen swallows dying on the ground as a cold snap came in early May.

by Carol Clarke on Sun May 15, 2022 12:05 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
What an amazing behaviour capture, Warren! So clever of them to use the group warmth to shelter together on the ground and under the worst of the wind. Great shot!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Axel Hildebrandt on Sun May 15, 2022 12:21 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Thanks for sharing this, Warren! Interesting to see this behavior that looks like penguins in a snowstorm. I heard that many of them unfortunately didn't make it due to low temperature and lack of insects.
Axel Hildebrandt

by ADKShooter on Sun May 15, 2022 12:57 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Axel Hildebrandt wrote:Thanks for sharing this, Warren! Interesting to see this behavior that looks like penguins in a snowstorm. I heard that many of them unfortunately didn't make it due to low temperature and lack of insects.
I was thinking of Penguins in a snow storm when viewing this situation live !! Of all the birds I observed down there, the Swallows appeared to be having the toughest time in those conditions.

by Cindy Marple on Sun May 15, 2022 10:29 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Wow. Sad to see such conditions, but what an interesting behavior shot.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by ADKShooter on Mon May 16, 2022 6:16 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Thank you so much for voting this image an Editor's Pick. I went to southern NJ to get images of birds I never see here in Upstate NY and as it turns out one of the most memorable shots of the trip is this one of birds that are fairly common here. I very much appreciate your recognition of this image.

10 posts |