Dendrocopos major

Posted by Mary Brun on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Image taken from behind the glass of my garden outbuilding in 2005.
Very noisy. Just switched to digital photography, I was shooting in jpg ...

Just to share with you the guests who still visit my garden today :)

This is a female of the Great Spotted Woodpecker that is distinguished from the male
by not having a red spot on the back of the head.

Canon Eos 350D
Canon EF 75-300 mm f 4-5.6 II USM
ISO 1600 - 1/320s - f/5.6 - 300 mm
Native jpg
Tripod

Click on to view on a dark background.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

Last edited by Mary Brun on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:54 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
So nice to see another variety of woodpecker-so similar to our Hairys and Downys except for that amazing red underbelly. It's so wonderful having these birds out one's window, isn't it? I am looking a my 2 varieties not more than 4 feet from my nose, at a feeder outside my window, and I can hear them hammering at the suet. Love seeing who is in your garden.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Mary Brun on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:So nice to see another variety of woodpecker-so similar to our Hairys and Downys except for that amazing red underbelly. It's so wonderful having these birds out one's window, isn't it?  I am looking a my 2 varieties not more than 4 feet from my nose, at a feeder outside my window, and I can hear them hammering at the suet.  Love seeing who is in your garden.
You're right Cynthia, it's really cool to see these creatures go by. I too have put a feeder in the garden where Sparrows, Robins, Black tits, Tits, Blackbirds and I think even Thrushes (if they are a real criminal association because as soon as they discover that there is food
they pounce in six or seven specimens and thei finish out everything) can find some food in the colder period.
As soon as I have renovated the annex, I will be able to try again to photograph my visitors to the garden.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by david fletcher on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:39 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Lovely to have such a nice garden visitor Mary. Sadly, my current visitors are not so glamorous so a joy to see. Thanks for sharing.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:45 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I would love to see one of these beautiful birds in my garden, Mary - you are lucky to see them.  They must feel safe with you.  I've got about 80 Starlings you can have.........  :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Karl Egressy on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:34 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Nice looking Woodpecker.
I'm pretty sure I have seen it countless time back in Hungary but was not into Bird Photography yet.

by Mary Brun on Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:44 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:Nice looking Woodpecker.
I'm pretty sure I have seen it countless time back in Hungary but was not into Bird Photography yet.
Thanks Karl :)
Mary

7 posts |