Long-tailed Duck.

Posted by Karl Egressy on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
Tomorrow is the last day we can go to the end of the pier to shoot. Long-tailed Duck and some other "winter" Ducks. A gate was put up and it will be closed for the winter. Somebody fell when it was icy, sued the Federal Government and won. Everybody else will be punished for somebody's mistake. Does it sound familiar?
The City is appealing but I don't hold my breath.

Nikon D850
Nikon 500 f 5.6 PF +1.4x  III
ISO 800
1/3200
f 8.0

Posted by:
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988

by Jakejacoby on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:42 pm
Jakejacoby
Lifetime Member
Member #:02085
Beautiful capture Karl.

by paul fletcher on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:50 pm
paul fletcher
Forum Contributor
Member #:02174
Wonderful image, Karl. Sorry to hear of the closing of the pier- it's always disappointing when " politics " enter into a situation. It seems that people these days, want a one hundred percent safety guarantee in all aspects of life. Anyway, a fine photograph, as always.

by Dan Kearl on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:28 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Sorry about the closure, such great subjects, hope you find a way to get close again.

by david fletcher on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:04 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Brilliant image Karl. Beautiful. Bad news on the closure. Always seems the way when everyone else seems to have to pay for someone's stupidity.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:29 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A wonderful image of one of the most beautiful ducks IMO, Karl.

I find it hard to believe that someone living in Canada in the winter doesn't know how to take the necessary precautions when walking on an icy surface, then to sue for the result of their own carelessness and win!! The world has gone mad with this 'me, me me' culture.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:44 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I guess this is a "lucky duck" then! too bad about the pier-looks like you had a great vantage point. So elegant and serene.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by ADKShooter on Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:13 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
A great looking shot of one of the nicest ducks in our area. I'm disappointed for you that you won't be using your pier that has produced such nice shots of ducks. Hope you are able to locate an alternate place that will be as productive, and give us a chance to see your terrific images of them.

by Greg Schneider on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:23 am
Greg Schneider
Forum Contributor
Great work Karl. It is difficult to get the best low angle but I really like how the waves frame the duck's body shape.

It is really sad how we continue to lose access to locations. I just found out that Humber East is closed, at least partially, for the next four years.
[b]Greg Schneider[/b]
Gallery: [url=http://www.gschneiderphoto.com]gschneiderphoto.com[/url] || Blog: [url=http://www.birdphotographyblog.com]birdphotographyblog.com[/url]

by Axel Hildebrandt on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:26 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Great pose and nice that we can see the raised tail feathers. I'm sorry to hear that you might not be able to use the pier anymore, sounds annoying.
Axel Hildebrandt

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:21 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Gorgeous image Karl. A fairly typical response nowadays is when someone is careless, or just plainly has some bad luck go their way to sue someone to get money for their mistake. That pier has been a favourite of bird watchers and photographers for decades. Ice in the winter is not surprising and I always wore crampons when I walked out there if the ice was present.

by ken archer on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:01 pm
ken archer
Forum Contributor
Beautiful photo of this handsome fellow in his winter plumage. Sweet One Karl!!!

Bummer about the closure, hopefully they get everything straightened out for you.

by Karl Egressy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:58 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Thank you all. I might be wrong, but it seems that a series of metal bases were built into the concrete on one side, that could very well be the foundation of a railing all along the pier. If they install it by next year, it could be open for public in next winter. I hope I'm right. Yes Scott, I always wore crampons when icy even other places like La Salle Marina.

by Mary Brun on Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:24 am
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
This duck is beautiful, I'm sorry for the closure of the pier, I really hope you can find an alternative.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

14 posts |