King of the Hill

Posted by ADKShooter on Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
Nikon D 810, Nikon 300mm F2.8
ISO 320, 1/2000s, F 9.0, Permanent Blind

Three years ago I went with a friend to Machias Seal Island for two days during which time we primarily were looking to photograph Puffins. Razorbills also ended up being fairly plentiful and are an interesting looking species, and is the subject of this post.  They somehow appear intimidating and even menacing but in actuality they behaved much in the same manner as the Puffins as they all went around minding their own business.

Please click for higher resolution.

Posted by:
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167

by Cindy Marple on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:12 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Lovely background, and the light is perfect to give detail in both the white and black feathers. I like that you got a bit of the yellow inside to the mouth too.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by david fletcher on Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:21 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Large view a treat Warren. Not easy on lighting but you have held good details on whites and blacks. Composition and pose is perfect. Nicely done.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by ADKShooter on Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:36 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Large view a treat Warren.  Not easy on lighting but you have held good details on whites and blacks.  Composition and pose is perfect.  Nicely done.
Thanks for the kind words David !!  The lighting was horrible.  A storm came through which prevented the Captain from going out to the island in the early AM.  He decided to chance it after the storm blew through but we didn't land on the island until about 11 AM and by then the sun was very harsh.  From my blind I just tried to pick up the birds where there was some fill lighting from the reflection of the light grey rocks such as was the case with this Razorbill. Best you could do under the conditions.  Either shoot, or go home. 

by paul fletcher on Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:09 pm
paul fletcher
Forum Contributor
Member #:02174
Very nice, Warren; somewhat of a different species perhaps than those that you concentrate on , but it's always good to try something a little
different at times. Great photo- I was curious as to where Machias Seal Island is?

by Carol Clarke on Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A great pose and excellent shot considering the bright sun you had to contend with, Warren! The detail in the black and white plumage is captured perfectly.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Sougata De on Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:30 am
Sougata De
Forum Contributor
A crisp shot with nice lighting!

by ADKShooter on Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:48 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
paul fletcher wrote:Very nice, Warren; somewhat of a different species perhaps than those that you concentrate on , but it's always good to try something a little
different at times. Great photo- I was curious as to where Machias Seal Island is?
Machias Seal Island is about 10 miles off the coast of the most northerly part of Maine. Apologies for not noting that earlier.

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:07 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
They are fun to watch and their sound is hard to forget, too. The tours were completely booked out for this year, I guess people try to catch up.
Axel Hildebrandt

by ADKShooter on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:30 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Axel Hildebrandt wrote:They are fun to watch and their sound is hard to forget, too. The tours were completely booked out for this year, I guess people try to catch up.
For people who are interested, you need to book as early as January.  It's best to book two consecutive days as the weather is very unpredictable and you may only get on the island one of the days, or if fortunate both. Captain Andy provides a great service and is very personable.

by Swissblad on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:10 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Excellent capture under trying conditions!

by Des on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:27 am
Des
Forum Contributor
Not an easy one to expose on a sunny day, well done!
Regards,

Des

captivatingnature.co.uk

12 posts |