A Different View

Posted by ADKShooter on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Nikon D850, Nikon 500mm F5.6 pf
ISO 800, 1/1000s, F10, Kayak

Kind of a different view of the Common Loon from the classic chick riding on it's back.  Tough to not blow out the whites on this head on view but I was able to retain some detail.
Also a quick shout out to a friend who had me use his heavy duty fisherman's kayak.  As a non swimmer and non "paddler" it was quite the experience. The camera and I survived after taking an enormous number of shots in a little over two hours of beautiful early morning light.

Please click for higher resolution.

Posted by:
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167

by david fletcher on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Well done for trying something new Warren. Worked a treat judging by this. Beautiful image with lovely details. Whites held well.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Gene Gwin on Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:06 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Warren, I think this is one of your better Loon images. Primarily because of the head-on view. As a previous swim instructor, it's never too late to learn to swim.

by Karl Egressy on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Beautiful image of the adult and the chicks.

by Carol Clarke on Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:41 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Beautifully done, Warren! I love the head angle of the adult as well as the front view of the riding chicks. Its wonderful how we become almost invisible to water birds when we approach in a boat!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by ADKShooter on Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:16 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Gene Gwin wrote:Warren, I think this is one of your better Loon images.  Primarily because of the head-on view.  As a previous swim instructor, it's never too late to learn to swim.
Two fake hips (after 3 replacements) and a bum shoulder and ankle says to me....wear a life preserver whenever within reach of the water !! Oh, did I mention being out of shape as well !?!  Lol.  Fortunately my two sons are terrific swimmers and my 4 young grandsons are actively involved in instruction.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:29 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Love this one- a wonderful angle of view and so sweet to see the chick peering around the loon's neck. I used to kayak around loons-such a treat to be near them when adrift , and they would just swim up close-perhaps out of curiosity,-(I never went near them on purpose). Maybe I should review my old photos! I miss that experience- thanks for the charming reminder. I can't think of a lovelier view than this.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by paul fletcher on Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:08 pm
paul fletcher
Forum Contributor
Member #:02174
A wonderful image, Warren, and the head-on perspective, turned out so well. Considering the challenges that you faced doing photography
from a kayak, I have to say that you did an excellent job to get the loon images that you did.

by himadri roy on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:04 am
himadri roy
Forum Contributor
Member #:02163
Exceptional photograph. Congrats.

9 posts |