Ruby Topaz hummingbird - male

Posted by Ramesh Kodavatiganti on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
 A family sun'n sand vacation to a volcanic island also resulted in a bird photography trip with a local photographer! The beauty was of this tiny jewel was enough to enamour me for a second outing exclusively focussing on this beauty. Despite the harsh light of the mid morning sun it was a blessing that the cactus were all in the shade of the overhead tree canopy. Using a monopod and prefocused on the cactus flower - moved focus point  to the left, it was a waiting game - despite frustrating moments it was worth it when they showed up! 

Ruby Topaz hummingbird with a prickly pear cactus flower - wilderness left alone unmodified untouched!!

Posted by:
Ramesh Kodavatiganti
Forum Contributor
Member #:2109

by david fletcher on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:53 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Well done with leaving nature as found. Your patience well rewarded. A slight head turn would take it up a notch Ramesh. Shooting details would be useful.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:37 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
david fletcher wrote:Well done with leaving nature as found.  Your patience well rewarded.  A slight head turn would take it up a notch Ramesh.  Shooting details would be useful.

I agree, Ramesh.  Your enjoyment of this encounter shines through!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ramesh Kodavatiganti on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:20 pm
Ramesh Kodavatiganti
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Well done with leaving nature as found.  Your patience well rewarded.  A slight head turn would take it up a notch Ramesh.  Shooting details would be useful.

David,
Appreciate your feedback and comments. 
I wish the hummingbird would listen to my lisping - "turn your head to me a bit! Please" - no luck i had to settle with what i got. I will definitely be posting more with an eye contact ofcourse. 

AS for the settings 
Nikon D6  - Highlight weighted Spot metering, AF-C 5 point focus  on CH mode, 600mm on an RRS monopod w/Wimberly gimbal head, ISO 500 exposure 1/4000 sec @ f/4.0 and -0.7 EC Hope that's helpful. Any suggestions to improve - are welcome whole heartedly! THx

by paul fletcher on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:05 pm
paul fletcher
Forum Contributor
Member #:02174
Very nice image, Ramesh. I was wondering what was the name of the island where you took your photo?

by Ramesh Kodavatiganti on Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:37 pm
Ramesh Kodavatiganti
Forum Contributor
paul fletcher wrote:Very nice image, Ramesh. I was wondering what was the name of the island where you took your photo?

Aruba! it was my first time and a gorgeous place. let. me know if u ever go there - know this guy who is a keen birder, photographer ( w/NatGeo contributions - articles, photos), & a conservationist - a wonderful person with a good sense of humor.

ramesh

6 posts |