Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Click @ Outskirts of Santiniketan, West Bengal, India

Nikon D750
Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF
f5.6_1/3000sec_ISO 3200
S Chakraborty ARPS
Comments & Critiques are Welcome
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" -- Mahatma Gandhi

Posted by:
SAURAV CHAKRABORTY
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:18 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Super framing and clarity on this extraordinary Goose. If my memory serves me correctly, this is the goose that is one of the worlds highest flyers. Although most migratory routes are below 5,784 meters some have been seen over Mount Makalu and even Everest. Quite remarkable.

Super sighting and like the calling pose Saurav.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by SAURAV CHAKRABORTY on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:17 pm
SAURAV CHAKRABORTY
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Super framing and clarity on this extraordinary Goose.  If my memory serves me correctly, this is the goose that is one of the worlds highest flyers.  Although most migratory routes are below 5,784 meters some have been seen over Mount Makalu and even Everest.  Quite remarkable.  

Thank you David for your kind words.

You are absolutely right. The Bar-Headed Goose is one of the world's highest-flying birds, having been heard flying across Mount Makalu – the fifth highest mountain on earth at 8,481 m (27,825 ft), and apparently observed flying over Mount Everest – 8,848 m (29,029 ft) because Bar-Headed Geese can slow their metabolism to soar over the Everest.The birds also decrease their heart rate and chill their blood to maintain flight in hypoxic conditions. They can reach high altitudes during their migration across the Himalayas and Tibetan plateau because they can continue supporting the metabolic costs of flight as the air becomes extremely hypoxic and they have super-efficient lungs.The bar-headed goose migrates over the Himalayas to spend the winter in parts of South Asia (from Assam to as far south as Tamil Nadu).
S Chakraborty ARPS
Comments & Critiques are Welcome
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" -- Mahatma Gandhi

by david fletcher on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:05 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
SAURAV CHAKRABORTY wrote:
david fletcher wrote:Super framing and clarity on this extraordinary Goose.  If my memory serves me correctly, this is the goose that is one of the worlds highest flyers.  Although most migratory routes are below 5,784 meters some have been seen over Mount Makalu and even Everest.  Quite remarkable.  

Thank you David for your kind words.

You are absolutely right. The Bar-Headed Goose is one of the world's highest-flying birds, having been heard flying across Mount Makalu – the fifth highest mountain on earth at 8,481 m (27,825 ft), and apparently observed flying over Mount Everest – 8,848 m (29,029 ft) because Bar-Headed Geese can slow their metabolism to soar over the Everest.The birds also decrease their heart rate and chill their blood to maintain flight in hypoxic conditions. They can reach high altitudes during their migration across the Himalayas and Tibetan plateau because they can continue supporting the metabolic costs of flight as the air becomes extremely hypoxic and they have super-efficient lungs.The bar-headed goose migrates over the Himalayas to spend the winter in parts of South Asia (from Assam to as far south as Tamil Nadu).
Great info Saurav.  Thank you.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Karl Egressy on Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:17 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Excellent image in natural habitat.

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:51 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I love the habitat in this scene-it sets off the goose so beautifully. A great pose too, with one foot up, and a calling. How interesting to read all about this goose as well.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

6 posts |