pied-billed greeb

Posted by enrique patino on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Same bird. Different angle than the one before. May be pushing the limits for dark subject, but ... maybe it works. Comments?

7D, 500mm+1.4x, 1/800, f/8, ISO 800, no flash

Posted by:
enrique patino
Forum Contributor

by Kari Post on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:22 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
I think if you got the entire reflection in the frame and really pushed the silhouette (dark bird and reflection surrounded by bright background) it could work really well. As is, it feels a little unbalanced and heavy with the darker bird at the bottom of the frame against the bright background. A lot of potential here for sure though! I particularly like how the ripple of water in front of and behind the bird is blue but the background is yellow/green. I think if you played around with the contrast/exposure a bit more and got a really solid composition this could be so good!
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by Ron Day on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:37 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Beautiful water and neat pose, Enrique.

by enrique patino on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:59 am
enrique patino
Forum Contributor
Kari Post wrote:I think if you got the entire reflection in the frame and really pushed the silhouette (dark bird and reflection surrounded by bright background) it could work really well. As is, it feels a little unbalanced and heavy with the darker bird at the bottom of the frame against the bright background. A lot of potential here for sure though! I particularly like how the ripple of water in front of and behind the bird is blue but the background is yellow/green. I think if you played around with the contrast/exposure a bit more and got a really solid composition this could be so good!

Yes, I agree with it being unbalanced as is. Laying at the edge of the water with the 500mm hand-held following a bird up-close can get a little tricky. I had to straighten the image post quite a bit and unfortunately the reflection is cut off.  I think I pushed the exposure in post as much as I could, maybe I could get a little more. I've gotten used to shooting strictly manual. If I had been on Av mode or shutter priority it would have been another image. Although sometimes errors can produce good results and unique images... not this one!  :)

by david fletcher on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:45 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Sweet close up Enrique.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Isaac Grant on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:43 pm
Isaac Grant
Forum Contributor
I think this is a very cool image of this grebe. They are tiny so you must have been very close. I am all for trying new things and creating different types of images. If your original had the reflection and you lost it because of leveling the shot then I would personally have no ethical problem with adding some canvas to bring back the reflection. I would also lower the saturation of the blues on the bird. It is a strong and different image and the colors are striking so very well done.

by Carol Clarke on Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:19 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
It works for me, Enrique! I love the low angle, detail, the strong and vibrant colours and the refreshingly different end result! A very striking image, and I really like it a lot.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

7 posts |