Cooperative American Kestrel

Posted by rsmkhb on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:18 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Found this lady alongside the road at a local refuge.  She didn't mind me taking a few images of her. By the looks of her bill she just got done eating lunch.  I love her eyes.   Slight crop.  Any critiques are welcomed. 

Thanks
Ryan

Nikon d7200
Sigma 150-600 C
600mm
Iso 450
f6.3
1/640th

Posted by:
rsmkhb
Forum Contributor

by clement on Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:39 am
clement
Forum Contributor
Just love the details here.. feel like touching the real one

by Karl Egressy on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:44 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Wonderful detail and colors. Local refuge means Raptor Rehab? Somewhat ambiguous statement.

by rsmkhb on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:35 am
rsmkhb
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:Wonderful detail and colors. Local refuge means Raptor Rehab? Somewhat ambiguous  statement.
That would be a wrong assumption.  Not sure why you would assume that?  Because it’s a close up you automatically think it is a captive bird?   This was taken at an actual wildlife refuge and this is a wild bird.  It’s a drive through refuge and she was perched on the side of the road about 10 feet front from me.  If you would like me to post a different wider image of this Kestrel sitting on an actual wildlife refuge sign I can do that for you.  

Thanks
Ryan

by Ron Day on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:35 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Ryan, an extraordinary close-in portrait of this lovely lady. The detail, light and eye contact are amazing. Great job. Thank you for the explanation of how you photographed this wild American Kestrel in the wildlife refuge. I do not think Karl was suggesting this was a "captive." Rather, just asking for clarification on where you got the photo. A misunderstanding, perhaps. :)

by Karl Egressy on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:59 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
rsmkhb wrote:
Karl Egressy wrote:Wonderful detail and colors. Local refuge means Raptor Rehab? Somewhat ambiguous  statement.
That would be a wrong assumption.  Not sure why you would assume that?  Because it’s a close up you automatically think it is a captive bird?   This was taken at an actual wildlife refuge and this is a wild bird.  It’s a drive through refuge and she was perched on the side of the road about 10 feet front from me.  If you would like me to post a different wider image of this Kestrel sitting on an actual wildlife refuge sign I can do that for you.  

Thanks
Ryan
Sorry. I mixed up wildlife refuge with wildlife rehab.

by rsmkhb on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:20 pm
rsmkhb
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:
rsmkhb wrote:

Thanks
Ryan
Sorry. I mixed up wildlife refuge with wildlife rehab.
It's all good.  looking back i realize my response was a bit aggressive.  I apologize for that.  

Ryan

7 posts |