Harrier and Short-eared Owl

Posted by Mako_Elite on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Sorry for not posting for a while, way too busy again.
SE Owls are here. Last week or so I did get some nice images. I will start posting them.
Here is my favorite so far for new season. Very rarely you see Harrier sitting next to Short-eared Owl. These birds doesn't like each other much for obvious reasons. They share the same food and Harriers like to steal from owls.

D2Hs, (MF) 500mm f/4 P ED IF + TC-16A (1.6X TC)
1/400, ISO-1600 f/9.5 on tripod.

Please click on the image for uncompressed view, thank you.

Posted by:
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor

by Dan Kearl on Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:30 pm
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Pretty cool habitat scene... A bit tighter crop would be nice for me.
The two species together is outstanding and very unique!

by Ron Day on Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:46 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
What a great find of these two together, Ludo. What is your opinion on why they were perched together? Well done.

by Mako_Elite on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:42 pm
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
Ron Day wrote:What a great find of these two together, Ludo. What is your opinion on why they were perched together? Well done.
Thank you the kind words.

Dan,
Image is already cropped slightly and also I wanted to show the beautiful habitat.

Ron,
So far this season, SE Owls around here mostly  fly early morning before sun comes out and evening after sun goes down. Reason is..they are vulnerable when hunting since they fly slow, low and looking down not knowing if Bald Eagle is above and behind them (easy meal for an eagle).
When there is a lot of competition from other owls and other birds  like Harriers they fly even during the daylight hours taking risks.
I think both Harriers and SE Owls or any owls facing same threat from eagles. There tons of eagles nearby on the top of little mountain looking down feeding on ducks, geese, other birds and salmon.

I believe they tolerate each other if survival is online ,,,more eyes in the sky. Last year , just across the border in Canada. whole Barn Owl population 2-3 got whipped by Bald Eagles in small game reserve. These owls were flying during daytime taking huge risks and they paid dearly for it.

Ludo

by david fletcher on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:38 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Such an interesting image and story Ludo. Thanks for sharing
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:06 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
What a brilliant and quite unique sighting, Ludo! Amazing to get these two together like this. Fantastic image!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ron Day on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:16 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Mako_Elite wrote:
Ron Day wrote:What a great find of these two together, Ludo. What is your opinion on why they were perched together? Well done.
Thank you the kind words.

Dan,
Image is already cropped slightly and also I wanted to show the beautiful habitat.

Ron,
So far this season, SE Owls around here mostly  fly early morning before sun comes out and evening after sun goes down. Reason is..they are vulnerable when hunting since they fly slow, low and looking down not knowing if Bald Eagle is above and behind them (easy meal for an eagle).
When there is a lot of competition from other owls and other birds  like Harriers they fly even during the daylight hours taking risks.
I think both Harriers and SE Owls or any owls facing same threat from eagles. There tons of eagles nearby on the top of little mountain looking down feeding on ducks, geese, other birds and salmon.

I believe they tolerate each other if survival is online ,,,more eyes in the sky. Last year , just across the border in Canada. whole Barn Owl population 2-3 got whipped by Bald Eagles in small game reserve. These owls were flying during daytime taking huge risks and they paid dearly for it.

Ludo
A defense against Bald Eagles makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Ludo.

by Karl Egressy on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:16 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
This is an amazing opportunity and amazing picture, Ludo.

by himadri roy on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:50 pm
himadri roy
Forum Contributor
Member #:02163
Congratulation on EP . Amazing image.

by Tusar Bhowmik on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:36 pm
Tusar Bhowmik
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:This is an amazing opportunity and amazing picture, Ludo.

+1

10 posts |