Hummer Coming in for a Drink

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Another image of this very cooperative hummingbird. This is when he was taking a drink from the fountain before bathing. 
Samsung S8, 4.25mm, f1.7, 1/2100 sec, -.6 EV. Taken at about 6" and cropped. Some digital artifacts on body and wing that I don't know how to correct. PP is not my strongsuit!
All C&C and suggestions welcome. Please click on image. Thanks.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by Karl Egressy on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:57 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
The fountain just as great looking as the bird.

Last edited by Karl Egressy on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Mako_Elite on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:21 pm
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
I can't believe you took it from 6" away. Did you use remote shutter or something similar?? Amazing stuff..I love it.

Ludo

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:18 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mako_Elite wrote:I can't believe you took it from 6" away. Did you use remote shutter or something similar?? Amazing stuff..I love it.

Ludo
I used a bluetooth remote shutter and phone is on a mount with ballhead attached to a post of a wind spinner. I am sitting about three feet away. The first time it came in, I shot handheld from 1 foot away and used voice triggering to record a video of the hummingbird bathing. There are also several goldfinches coming in to drink and bathe. I will post some of them in the next few days. I manually focus the camera to the water outlet with my fingers at the water and sometimes the goldfinches land next to my fingers. Once, while handholding the phone, a goldfinch landed on my thumb and they often land on my setup. Thanks for your comments. I will post a picture of my setup later so you can see how I do it.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:43 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here are a couple of photos of the setup I use. The DVD case is to shade the phone so that it doesn't shut off due to overheating in the sun. The camera in the images is not the one I'm using, but an s7 to demo the setup. The light is only good for a short while in the morning and then the shadows cross the backdrop and fountain, as can be seen in the images here. It helps to have the Trumpet Vine nearby to attract the hummers.

Joe

by Ron Day on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:37 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Another nice capture with this unique system, Joe. Thanks for showing us how you set these shots up. Well done.

by Mako_Elite on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:43 pm
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
Thank you Joe for details of your setup. Very impressive. You are genius. Image quality of the birds are really good. Nicely done.

Ludo

by Carol Clarke on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:25 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
What a great series, Joe! I love your freeze frames of the water as much as the bird action, and the two together are fantastic!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

8 posts |