Kingfisher

Posted by Jonc on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Haven't posted for a while mainly due limited free time.  

Recently acquired one of Nikon's mirrorless Z cameras. Very pleased with quality of images but birds in flight proving quite a challenge.  Manage to track them quite well when they're flying away but struggling to lock on when flying directly towards me. Using native glass with FTZ adaptor & upgraded to 2.01 firmware.  Interested for any suggestions from other Z users on which focusing option they found best when photographing birds.

ISO 1000
s 1/640
f10
600mm+1.4x tc

for larger uncompressed images please click here

Posted by:
Jonc
Forum Contributor

by sirianul on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 pm
sirianul
Forum Contributor
I don't know about any Nikon camera but your picture is very nice with nice colours and BG.

Peter Tamas (sirianul)

by Ron Day on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:31 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Lovely color, detail and background. Excellent portrait, Jon.

by Gene Gwin on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Jon, Great detail. I do not have the camera you use, but have talked to quite a few people who do. They all pretty much say the same thing as you about the autofocus. Most, if they have the D5 or 850 will use those cameras for BIF. Good luck.

by Carol Clarke on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:10 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Our native kingfisher is such a beautiful bird and this is a lovely image, Jon. The colours and detail are captured so well.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by GirishP on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:36 am
GirishP
Forum Contributor
Very sharp with excellent BG!

by david fletcher on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:05 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Very nicely done Jon. Clean and crisp. Was this a Z6 or the Z7?
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Jonc on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:37 pm
Jonc
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Very nicely done Jon.  Clean and crisp.  Was this a Z6 or the Z7?
Z7, v.pleased bar the focus tracking. Amazed the amount of cropping the extra mgpixels allows

by david fletcher on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Jonc wrote:
david fletcher wrote:Very nicely done Jon.  Clean and crisp.  Was this a Z6 or the Z7?
Z7, v.pleased bar the focus tracking. Amazed the amount of cropping the extra mgpixels allows

Thanks for that info Jon.  Been interested in these Z's, for the quietness, and weight.  Will probably go there anyway, but don't need to now re IQ as have a D850 and D500 amongst some other relics like the D800, D7100 and D300.  

Part of me suspects very much that the AF on the Z series has not been adopted and adapted yet by most Vloggers as i suspect there needs to be a different approach.  (sort of , I am being lazy and hoping someone else figures it out).   Basically, the early slagging from Sonynorthrup etc has had no effect on images being produced for the last year.

Steve Perry has some stunning examples on the Z7.... no notes on Af tracking for BIF, that I recall.  Have also seen on the internet, a guy that used the Z6 on Af auto for Carmine Beekeepers that nailed it and seemed to make the difference.  (think it was Nikon Rumors).  Worth a look.

End of the day, you've nailed those shots.  If you do need a head on, buy a D500, set it on group and stick a XQD card in it and you'll nail pretty well everything you see.  (done that)... Nicely done!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Jeff Pearl on Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:24 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
Beautiful superior quality photo!

by Mako_Elite on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:47 am
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
Very nice shot Jon! Far as focus on "Z" cameras. I don't own one , but my friends do and all of them are not happy with AF in BIF.

Ludo

by Jonc on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:58 pm
Jonc
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:
Jonc wrote:

Thanks for that info Jon.  Been interested in these Z's, for the quietness, and weight.  Will probably go there anyway, but don't need to now re IQ as have a D850 and D500 amongst some other relics like the D800, D7100 and D300.  

Part of me suspects very much that the AF on the Z series has not been adopted and adapted yet by most Vloggers as i suspect there needs to be a different approach.  (sort of , I am being lazy and hoping someone else figures it out).   Basically, the early slagging from Sonynorthrup etc has had no effect on images being produced for the last year.

Steve Perry has some stunning examples on the Z7.... no notes on Af tracking for BIF, that I recall.  Have also seen on the internet, a guy that used the Z6 on Af auto for Carmine Beekeepers that nailed it and seemed to make the difference.  (think it was Nikon Rumors).  Worth a look.

End of the day, you've nailed those shots.  If you do need a head on, buy a D500, set it on group and stick a XQD card in it and you'll nail pretty well everything you see.  (done that)... Nicely done!
Thanks for the pointer,  found the bee-eaters article on Nikon Rumors and nice to see it can be done.  Also I've since tried the auto AF and was more successful than with the other AF modes.  Thanks.

by Jonc on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Jonc
Forum Contributor
Thanks for everyone's feedback, much appreciated.

13 posts |