Great-horned Owl siblings

Posted by Mako_Elite on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Brother and sister. Female on the right and male on the left. Female is about the same size as momma now almost 2 months later. It is getting harder to tell them apart between mommy and female fledgling. , except when they screech, since momma is hooting.
They used to hang together tight very often, I am assuming to feel more secure and comfortable.
Now they still hang around nearby and still communicating with each other. These owls grow so fast.
2 days ago evening around 9:00PM I witness one of the fledglings catching vole from a long distance. I was watching it and suddenly took of from the tree and flew just above the ground for at least 100 yards and landed. I was able to take a shot while owl was on the ground. It was very dark and I was shooting with D3s ISO-12800. When I got home and load the images. When I zoomed in the image with the owl on the ground I could see clearly vole hanging out of the mouth.

This is amazing from how far these owls can locate the prey from such a distance. They are ultimate night hunters.

D2Hs, 500mm f/4 P ED IF (MF) + TC-16A (1.6X TC)
1/100, ISO-800, f/8.5, handheld.

Please click on the image for uncompressed view, thank you.

Posted by:
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor

by Jakejacoby on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:12 am
Jakejacoby
Lifetime Member
Member #:02085
This is a very cool capture Ludo. The interaction between the two is really special.

by Ron Day on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:21 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
I enjoyed the story and the image, Ludo. These siblings look like a pair of love birds. Great timing to catch this behavior.

by Karl Egressy on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:57 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Wow, such a sweet image, Ludo

by Carol Clarke on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:22 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Great story and great image, Ludo!  The interaction between these two is so sweet, not all brothers and sisters have such a close relationship.

:)

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

5 posts |