Nashville Warbler

Posted by bvsingh on Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:20 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Congratulations to everyone involved in getting this site up.

Thought I will post my favourite subjects, warblers, as my first post. They seem to be back in season, seeing more reports of them passing through Ottawa area.

This picture was taken in May at Point Pelee National Park, Canada. It was the first time I was using a digital camera for warblers. Coming from EOS 1v, EOS 10D did seem bit slow for warblers. With 10D I frequently find myself having shutter lag issues and slow focus acquisition. I do not get what I saw in the viewfinder. Maybe I press shutter too many times, but I would like to hear what other users have to say about it.

Equipment: EOS 10D + Canon EF300f3.8 + Canon 2X + 550EX with BB + Gitzo 1548 + Kirk B1 + sidekick.

Thankyou all for comments,
Bhupendra

Posted by:
bvsingh
Forum Contributor

by Alan Murphy on Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:45 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Welcome to NSN Bhupendra.

This is a nice first post. I might consider a tighter crop to elimanate some of the OOF twigs on the left. Getting him with his head turned towards the camera was probably a challenge with the camera problems you were having. Look forward to more of your Warblers.

Alan

by Juli Wilcox on Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:56 pm
Juli Wilcox
Editor in Chief
Member #:00010
What a pretty little bird! I see the eyecatch and if it were just a bit more pronounced, the bird would seem more vital. You may be able to select just the eye in your photo editing program and adjust the highlight (increase) to bring that out a bit more. I think a little more USM would help, too. Welcome. :)
[b]Juli Wilcox[/b]
[b]Former Editor in Chief, NSN[/b]

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A bird I don't yet have in my files. I agree with Alan's commentary.

by matt kuchta on Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:17 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
What AF mode were you in? I find that for warblers, One-Shot AF on the 10D is much too slow - I often switch to AI servo for these "dickey birds."

Aside from the head turn and a touch of USM, the techs are really nice. This is a lovely portrait of this little guy. I'm hoping to catch a few of these on their way back south. Right now most of them are pretty ratty from the summer, but the first years are really starting to come of age.

Great first post, too!
-matt
NSN 0017

by bvsingh on Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:16 am
bvsingh
Forum Contributor
matt kuchta wrote:What AF mode were you in? I find that for warblers, One-Shot AF on the 10D is much too slow - I often switch to AI servo for these "dickey birds."

Aside from the head turn and a touch of USM, the techs are really nice. This is a lovely portrait of this little guy. I'm hoping to catch a few of these on their way back south. Right now most of them are pretty ratty from the summer, but the first years are really starting to come of age.

Great first post, too!
-matt
I use AI Servo all the time to acquire focus and then manually fine tune it.

Actually, in the larger size picture catch light in the eye is very prominent.

thanks every for the comments.
--
Bhupendra

by Richard Ditch on Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:55 pm
Richard Ditch
Forum Contributor
A nice bird to have in your collection. I agree with the previous comments on how you could make this better.

I just had my first Nashville Warbler of the season this morning here in Phoenix, but it was gone in a flash so I didn't even get time to bring the camera around to try for a shot.

7 posts |