Black Skimmers

Posted by Sharon Hallowell on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:45 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
From Edwin B. Forsythe   Canon 50d, 500w/1.4
Thanks for your comments/critiques!  I appreciate it!.

Posted by:
Sharon Hallowell
Lifetime Member
Member #:01205

by Ron Day on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:23 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Sharon, a great flight capture of this pair just above the water. I note the reflections do not line up. The tail of the front bird touches or overlaps the beak of the bird behind, but is not even close in the reflection. It may just be me, but it seems the reflections should mirror the positions of the actual birds.

by Karl Egressy on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:54 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
The reflection makes it for me, well captured.

by Sharon Hallowell on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:56 pm
Sharon Hallowell
Lifetime Member
Ron Day wrote:Sharon, a great flight capture of this pair just above the water. I note the reflections do not line up. The tail of the front bird touches or overlaps the beak of the bird behind, but is not even close in the reflection. It may just be me, but it seems the reflections should mirror the positions of the actual birds.
Hi Ron.   Thanks for your comment and I do see what you're talking about....it stumped me for a bit when I first saw it.   I think that if the the birds in the air were perfectly in front/behind each other the reflection would look the way you expect it too.   I think that the bird in the front is slightly closer to the lens than the rear bird, hence we're seeing each birds actual reflection.  I do appreciate your thoughts!

by Ron Day on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Sharon Hallowell wrote:
Ron Day wrote:Sharon, a great flight capture of this pair just above the water. I note the reflections do not line up. The tail of the front bird touches or overlaps the beak of the bird behind, but is not even close in the reflection. It may just be me, but it seems the reflections should mirror the positions of the actual birds.
Hi Ron.   Thanks for your comment and I do see what you're talking about....it stumped me for a bit when I first saw it.   I think that if the the birds in the air were perfectly in front/behind each other the reflection would look the way you expect it too.   I think that the bird in the front is slightly closer to the lens than the rear bird, hence we're seeing each birds actual reflection.  I do appreciate your thoughts!
Sharon, I think you are correct, the distance of the bird from the camera must affect the reflection. Thank you for your input. The birds and their reflection are beautiful.

by Carol Clarke on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:53 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Odd about the reflections, but such a unique view to get both birds and reflections in frame like this, Sharon!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You would only expect that alignment if the camera was at water level.  If the camera were above the subject, the reflection would separate like this.

by Sharon Hallowell on Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:25 pm
Sharon Hallowell
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:
You would only expect that alignment if the camera was at water level.  If the camera were above the subject, the reflection would separate like this.
Thank you Mr. Peiker!  I appreciate you input.

8 posts |