Crested Caracara

Posted by Gene Gwin on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:07 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
Photo taken at Laguna Seca Ranch in South Texas March 6, 2019.

Nikon D7500, Nikon 300mm f/2.8 lens, 1/500 sec at f/7.1, ISO 720.

Posted by:
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor

by Sandeep Chakraborty on Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:10 am
Sandeep Chakraborty
Forum Contributor
What a fabulous natural history moment !! Congrats

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:13 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Excellent! The cactus makes a perfect backdrop for the scene, and the story is very well told.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Jakejacoby on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:04 am
Jakejacoby
Lifetime Member
Member #:02085
Very telling Gene. Excellent work.

by Biru Mitra on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:58 am
Biru Mitra
Forum Contributor
What a beautiful documentation this is. A story well depicted. Congrats.

Regards.

Biru.

by rajandesai on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:14 am
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
Story telling shot...

by cwdavis on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:09 am
cwdavis
Forum Contributor
From their website, Laguna Seca Ranch:

"Laguna Seca Ranch is a family owned and operated bird photography ranch located north of Edinburg, Texas, USA.  It is comprised of 700 acres of pristine brush land.  Since the acquisition of the ranch in 2002, we have been inspired to provide a high quality photography experience for wildlife enthusiasts worldwide.  We are constantly finding ways to improve our business and are motivated by all South Texas nature has to offer."

https://www.lagunasecaranch.com/
C William Davis
Chapel Hill, NC

by david fletcher on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:46 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Congrats on a fine image Gene. Plenty of story and impact.... Thanks for sharing
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by MalcolmBenn on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:07 pm
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
Nature at work .... wonderful image Gene, great framing with the cactus.
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

by capebretondoc on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:00 am
capebretondoc
Forum Contributor
Was this a set-up Gene? Was the coyote placed there? How did the coyote die?I am not criticizing or judging. I would just like to know!
It is a very powerful image,
Gail
gailbissonphotography.zenfolio.com
Instagram @gailmbisson

by Mike Delgado on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:01 pm
Mike Delgado
Forum Contributor
Some ranches will introduce bait to entice other animals to come in so the photographer can get the shot. Don't know if this was the case but everyone knows that some ranches practice this. Cool picture by the way.
Website
http://MikeDelgadoPhotography.com/
Join me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/mike.delgado.1466

by Gene Gwin on Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:33 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
capebretondoc wrote:Was this a set-up Gene? Was the coyote placed there? How did the coyote die?I am not criticizing or judging. I would just like to know!
Gail
Gail,
Thanks for asking.  There's lots of rural roads in Texas.  Unfortunately sometimes animals will meet their demise trying to cross them.  If roadkill is found, we will sometimes use it as bait at the Raptor area.  There are too many situations where predators are eating roadkill that is still on the road or next to a road and that places the predator in danger of getting hit by a car.  If I find roadkill, even if it is not used as Raptor bait, I try and pick it up and move it well away from a road in an attempt to protect the predators.  Some people might not be fond of predators, but I believe they serve an invaluable service as a whole.  I have to assume there are some people who might sacrifice an animal or insect to attempt to get a specific image.  That is something I would not consider doing and would not condone.  Photos such as this are clearly not for everyone.  Predators eating an animal that is dead is a fundamental part of nature, as such, I personally believe it is appropriate to illustrate.  If you want to discuss this in more depth, feel free to PM me.     

by Karl Egressy on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:46 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Excellent nature action image.

by capebretondoc on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 pm
capebretondoc
Forum Contributor
Gene Gwin wrote:
capebretondoc wrote:Was this a set-up Gene? Was the coyote placed there? How did the coyote die?I am not criticizing or judging. I would just like to know!
Gail
Gail,
Thanks for asking.  There's lots of rural roads in Texas.  Unfortunately sometimes animals will meet their demise trying to cross them.  If roadkill is found, we will sometimes use it as bait at the Raptor area.  There are too many situations where predators are eating roadkill that is still on the road or next to a road and that places the predator in danger of getting hit by a car.  If I find roadkill, even if it is not used as Raptor bait, I try and pick it up and move it well away from a road in an attempt to protect the predators.  Some people might not be fond of predators, but I believe they serve an invaluable service as a whole.  I have to assume there are some people who might sacrifice an animal or insect to attempt to get a specific image.  That is something I would not consider doing and would not condone.  Photos such as this are clearly not for everyone.  Predators eating an animal that is dead is a fundamental part of nature, as such, I personally believe it is appropriate to illustrate.  If you want to discuss this in more depth, feel free to PM me.     
Thanks Gene. I have no issue with the method you used and I agree with your statement about road kill on the road. I carry a box of disposable gloves in the car to move roadkill from the road.
Gail
gailbissonphotography.zenfolio.com
Instagram @gailmbisson

by Axel Hildebrandt on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:19 pm
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Thanks for the background information and the pose of the Caracara tells the story.
Axel Hildebrandt

15 posts |