West Papua (1): the Apex Predator

Posted by ugolino on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Honor to whom honour is due !
Who else to start with on my return, but with the (now called) Papuan Eagle, yet still known in the field as the New Guinea Harpy Eagle, an endemic and vulnerable species of the Island of New Guinea ?
Regularly heard, but seldom seen (even in flight), encountering a perched individual....is reserved to very very very lucky birdwatchers. 
For this photographer, all the stars were aligned as we did not flush it... Having heard it, we called it (once) and within a few seconds, not only did it show up but also stayed with us 5-10mn, changing locations presumably looking for a nest of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos who followed it in tow, mobbing and pestering it with their screams, all to our greatest pleasure. In fact, it is therefore possible that our call had no influence on it turning up in front of our eyes...
I had never even dreamed of this shot and many additional ones, taking advantage of the time it stayed with us to put on the 1.4 and even the doubler on  my 600mm lens…. for close-ups !!!
Forgive me for not sharing the portraits as I may want to enter them in a competition.
Thank you for viewing and leaving a comment if you are inspired.
Other goodies including some of the famous Birds of Paradise displaying will follow.
Ugolino
PS: I take advantage of this post to thank my guide Iwein Mauro and his wife Lyke (of the small birding company Ekonexion) for a wonderfully successful (though very tiring) month in West Papua
Working on a personal website.... Comments and advice welcome. 
Visit at http://ugolino.zenfolio.com/

Posted by:
ugolino
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:14 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Ugolino, congratulations on your remarkable time with this eagle. What a terrific experience it must have been.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:17 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
What an amazing find- so glad you told the story. An elegant bird in an elegant pose. I could see this in a vertical crop too, without the bright greens and whites on the lower right.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Jakejacoby on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:38 pm
Jakejacoby
Lifetime Member
Member #:02085
Way to go Ugo!!!

4 posts |