Empress Brilliant

Posted by mlgray12 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Hard to compete with people who haul all the gear around to do multi-flash work - I was carrying 3 flashes on last trip but most places I shot don't allow multi-flash plus it was raining and I was on move to much - in three weeks hit 5 lodges from all the way in NW Ecuador (Mindo Area) all the way down to Peru border . But our group saw over 50 species of hummers and over 450 species of birds - of course since I was doing mostly photography - I did not see all of these but probably got photos of over 40 species of hummers and no where near being able to estimate how many birds I got descent images of. This Empress Brilliant was feeding on this heleconia. One of the more spectacular large hummers taken at Amagusa Reserve in Mashpi Area of NW Ecuador
D850, 400mm f/2.8 w/ 1.4TC (no flash), Iso 800 1/200 sec @ f/7.1
minimal crop
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

Posted by:
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023

by Ron Day on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:50 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A beautiful bird with nice iridescence perched on a lovely tropical plant. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip, Michael.

by Juan E. Bahamon on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 pm
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080
Michael: I like the environmental flavor with this photogenic Heliconia and that Empress Brilliant is with an attentive pose a real plus, you did well with the gorget that is so difficult to illuminate. Sincere congratulations. I have never been at Mashpi but I hear is nice though expensive.
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

by Mako_Elite on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:08 pm
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
I like this shot a lot. It is nice to see the bird in natural light and environment. Amazing colors.

Ludo

by mlgray12 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Juan E. Bahamon wrote:Michael: I like the environmental flavor with this photogenic Heliconia and that Empress Brilliant is with an attentive pose a real plus, you did well with the gorget that is so difficult to illuminate. Sincere congratulations.  I have never been at Mashpi but I hear is nice though expensive.
Juan - It is expensive to stay in Mashpi - a real excusive resort - but I have only been to gate with guards - We go there on day trip mainly to Amagusa Reserve which is a reserve that feeds birds in a couple of locations - has great hummers and some really good tanagers such as Glistening Green Tanager. Prices are going up but they only have a day charge of $5 a person. If you have guide they even know other places in area to get some really hard to get birds such as Indigo Flowerpriecer (seen but no pictures yet).
We stay at Las Gralarias Lodge and Research Center (Las Gralarias Foundation) that is run by a friend but any of the Ecotourism lodges in Mindo area will work.
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

5 posts |