Flame-throated Sunangel

Posted by Juan E. Bahamon on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:07 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
[font=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif]The Flame-throated Sunangel (Heliangelus micraster) is a small hummingbird found in Ecuador and Peru. This picture was taken at the Tapichalaca Lodge. This birding lodge belongs to the Jocotoco Foundation, this non-profit organization buys large tracts of land in Ecuador where a species of bird is threatened (not this one) and fights to keep the land wild. So far they have more than 10 reserves. To stay over there is a little expensive for the day but I don't mind since these guys are doing a tremendous effort for conservation. Canon 600 IS 4.0 lens f8 ISO 1600 Thanks for looking[/font]
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

Posted by:
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080

by mlgray12 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:11 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Nice shot - we also spent two nights at Tapichalaca Lodge this March also stayed in two other Jocotoco Lodges down south and visited two more reserves - Several years ago the GCBO (My wife is the retire founding Exec Director) helped with funding for the Narupa Reserve - Great organization t and we have visited most of their reserves except costal ones

Looks ;like you had some sun - I found this bird hard to photograph from lighting point of view but we had no sun and that probably actually made it easier in some ways
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by david fletcher on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
gorgeous colours Juan. Thanks for sharing the info too
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:22 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A great conservation story, Juan, and a beautiful hummingbird image. Love the iridescence in the plumage.

4 posts |