A "Whiffle"

Posted by Sandy R-B on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:04 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
My photography friends always laugh at me because I will take a picture of ANYthing, even common things like flying geese.
They don't laugh any longer.

This is a very rare ( to catch in a picture) manuever used by larger birds to slow their flight when coming in to land. It's basically like  airplane flaps. 

If I hadn't been shooting the flock of "common" geese, I would not have gotten this image. No one else did. 

Heather Farms park, Walnut Creek, CA
2012:10:14 16:27:23
D800
300mm
1/3200 sec, f/7.1
Mode: Av
Metering: Spot
ISO: 500
White balance: Auto

Last edited by Sandy R-B on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted by:
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:33 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A great maneuver and a great image, Sandy. The clouds in the sky provide a beautiful background for the shot. It looks like the sun is breaking through the clouds behind the goose at the bottom of the frame. So if you did not use flash, how did you illuminate the breast and underwings of the goose? I’m sure it is just me, but what am I missing?

by Sandy R-B on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:38 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Ron - the PS shadow/highlight slider, selective levels adjustment,  and some dodging. Maybe it's too much?
Sandy

by Ron Day on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:48 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Ok, that explains it. Your post processing was so good that it appeared as natural light illumination to me.

by Ron Day on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
I’m sorry, Sandy, but I’m still confused. Why are both feet casting shadows toward the sun? That makes it appear the sun was behind you, not in front of you. It is a beautiful image, but the light and shadows confuse me.

by Sandy R-B on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:57 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Ron, sorry for the confusion. This was taken and edited >5 yrs ago, and I don't really remember..
There was a period in there that I was experimenting with a Better Beamer at dawn and dusk, so it looks as if I DID have the flash on. That's the only reason there would be shadows like this.
I so rarely use a flash, I just automatically typed "Flash off" when I posted this
Sandy

by mlgray12 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Sandy - this is a great shot regardless of how it happened - but like Ron I am still confused because based on shadows it does not appear to be flash at least to me - The shadows created appear to be from where the camera is shooting but angles are all wrong -nor the sun which appears to be behind bird. It appears you are shooting up into sky and if that is case there should be no shadow on lower wing
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by Sandy R-B on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:39 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
We were on a hill looking down at the geese flying by and descending to the pond.
Sandy

by Stuart Clarke on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:12 am
Stuart Clarke
Forum Contributor
Incredible depth of field for f7.1 the clouds are quite sharp considering the close focus on the goose. I normally have to use photoshop to get a background in focus like that.

by KK Hui on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:12 am
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Stuart Clarke wrote:Incredible depth of field for f7.1 the clouds are quite sharp considering the close focus on the goose. I normally have to use photoshop to get a background in focus like that.
Ditto what Stuart said.
Looks like the bg was captured with a wide-angle/standard lens?!
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Jeff Munoz on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 am
Jeff Munoz
Forum Contributor
Member #:01802
I totally agree with you, no matter how many toucans images I got I keep shooting them as well, perfect moment and amazing light Sandy!
Jeff Muñoz - Live the unique Photography Expeditions to Costa Rica with http://rainforestphototours.com

by Mako_Elite on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:40 pm
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
Superb shot Sandy with a nice clouds. I have seen this maneuver many times when huge flocks of Snow Geese coming down before the final approach.

Ludo

by RLK on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:35 am
RLK
Forum Contributor
Member #:01370
Sorry but I have to call "fowl" here (pun intended).
My first impression when looking at this image is that it is a composite with the background shot at a different time and with a different lens - the images then combined. The lighting and shadows as, pointed out by others, are a give away here and cannot be explained by light/shadow sliders or flash or shooting angle. It would be interesting to see the raw file(s). This image should have been posted in the Photo & Digital Art gallery IMO, and maybe with an explanation on how you did it.
Bob
Bob Kothenbeutel
Website (under construction) www.rlkimages.photoshelter.com

13 posts |