Anna Hummingbird

Posted by Juan E. Bahamon on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:50 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
[font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif]The Anna Hummingbird is one of the most challenging birds to photograph successfully. The male does not have an iridescent gorget as the other hummers. These guys have an iridescent HELMET, so the angle of light has to be unique so ALL the iridescent feathers of that helmet will reflect the intense red-purple-vermillion color, a slight movement of the head messes with this, and then portions became plain black. Fortunately, I found this tame male inside the aviary of the Ariz[font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif]ona-Desert-Museum in Tucson. I spent the whole afternoon taking more than 3000 pictures of this guy until I obtained this. While sitting on a bench reviewing the images on my laptop, this one popped out, and I was so excited that began to jump up and down crying hysterically as if having micro-orgasms of happiness that I involuntarily became very loud shouting in Spanish.[/font][/font]
[font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif][font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif]A nearby couple was so annoyed that began to give me dirty looks commanding me to be quiet, My dopamine was so high that I then accused them of being white supremacists and other ugly things that I am now ashamed. When I reached for my tripod they left scared. Of course, I am not proud of the above; I imagined being as a psychotic monkey jumping crazily.[/font]
[font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif]I am very sorry, and I apologize to them if they ever happen to see this post.[/font][/font]
Juan E. Bahamon
www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com
www.juanbahamonhummingbirds.com

Posted by:
Juan E. Bahamon
Lifetime Member
Member #:00080

by Ron Day on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:19 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
What a story, Juan, and what an image – it's superb! The fact you captured both the helmet and gorget in the right light at the correct angle to reveal the iridescence is amazing. You are to be commended for the effort you made for this one image. Congratulations.

by David J. Bogener on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:46 pm
David J. Bogener
Forum Contributor
Member #:00763
You expressed the challenges of photographing these guys well. 3000 photos to get the one you want is way beyond dedication, but worth it. Excellent image.

by Carol Clarke on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:25 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Amazing detail and colour, with lovely bright eye and iridescence. What a stunningly beautiful image Juan!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Sandy R-B on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:24 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
LOL - funny story!! I think we have all been in that situation, but maybe not QUITE that crazy... :-)
This is a superb image. Little more to say!
That white, OOF limb bit is a little bothersome, but you could clone in part of another twig, if you wished.

Sandy

by david fletcher on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:27 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Ron Day wrote:What a story, Juan, and what an image – it's superb! The fact you captured both the helmet and gorget in the right light at the correct angle to reveal the iridescence is amazing. You are to be commended for the effort you made for this one image. Congratulations.

plus one.  congrats.  not easy reading but the image and your pleasure makes its a pleasure to see.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

6 posts |