Yellow Eyed Babbler in Flight

Posted by shreyas yadav on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:24 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
I observed a good variety of birds, which were feasting on these flowers. 
This babbler caught my attention. I Followed this bird thru the viewfinder. For tracking focus - back button focus was used. Captured 3 frames and was able to make this image. 

Image quality not so good, ISO was 2500 on Nikon D7100. 
( Please suggest effective NR technique if there is any scope for improvement. ) 

Note- There was a blur distraction between bird beak and the flower. I have cloned it. 

f/8 1/800s ISO 2500  
Nikon D7100 Nikon 200-500 

Thanks for watching. Please help me with technical improvement from Post processing perspective. 

Thanks 
Shreyas 
www.shreyasyadav.com

Posted by:
shreyas yadav
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:11 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Not bad, Shreyas. The upper blossom is nice and sharp, but the wing tips on the bird are blurred. Since the eye, head, and tail of the bird are sharp, some may welcome the blurring as implied motion. Of course, if you wish to freeze the wing movement you need to increase the shutter speed. 

You are going to get noise shooting the D7100 at ISO 2500. For noise reduction, I like "Topaz DeNoise 6." However, the noise reduction in the more recent versions of PhotoShop should work fine.

The cloning between the beak and blossom appears to be made with one rather large circular brush stroke. Try using a smaller brush size with a softer brush setting and make multiple small cloning maneuvers to accomplish your goal. If necessary, reduce the opacity of your brush a little to help blend the strokes with the background. That should help eliminate the obvious appearance of the cloning.

I'm sure others may chime in with additional suggestions. The composition of your image is excellent. Keep shooting, we look forward to seeing more of your work.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:53 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Have to agree with what Ron said. I don't mind the wing motion. I find Photoshop noise reduction quite effective, and also sometimes use Imagenomic Noiseware reduction. I would perhaps select the background for a more intense noise reduction than the bird and flowers. Perhaps crop a little off the top to reduce the background. But that said, this came out quite nicely.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by shreyas yadav on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:44 pm
shreyas yadav
Forum Contributor
Ron Day wrote:Not bad, Shreyas. The upper blossom is nice and sharp, but the wing tips on the bird are blurred. Since the eye, head, and tail of the bird are sharp, some may welcome the blurring as implied motion. Of course, if you wish to freeze the wing movement you need to increase the shutter speed. 

You are going to get noise shooting the D7100 at ISO 2500. For noise reduction, I like "Topaz DeNoise 6." However, the noise reduction in the more recent versions of PhotoShop should work fine.

The cloning between the beak and blossom appears to be made with one rather large circular brush stroke. Try using a smaller brush size with a softer brush setting and make multiple small cloning maneuvers to accomplish your goal. If necessary, reduce the opacity of your brush a little to help blend the strokes with the background. That should help eliminate the obvious appearance of the cloning.

I'm sure others may chime in with additional suggestions. The composition of your image is excellent. Keep shooting, we look forward to seeing more of your work.

Hello Mr.Ron Day, 

Thank you for your inputs and feedback. I will check out with fine tuning of the noise reduction. Yes regarding cloning I have to re-work as you suggested. Thanks a ton for your kind words. 

Regards 
Shreyas 

by shreyas yadav on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:48 pm
shreyas yadav
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Have to agree with what Ron said. I don't mind the wing motion. I find Photoshop noise reduction quite effective, and also sometimes use Imagenomic Noiseware reduction. I would perhaps select the background for a more intense noise reduction than the bird and flowers. Perhaps crop a little off the top to reduce the background.  But that said, this came out quite nicely.
Hello Cynthia Crawford, 

Thank you for your inputs and kind words. 

Regards
Shreyas 

5 posts |