Black Turnstone

Posted by ThomasBarbin on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
A Black Turnstone photographed in Sechelt, BC. 

At the time I was disappointed that this morning was overcast rather than sunny. Looking back I really like how soft the light was. 

I'd love to hear what you think and would be happy to receive any constructive criticism that you may have.

Canon 7D
Canon 400mm f/5.6L
1/800 | f/5.6 | ISO 1000

Posted by:
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:15 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
It is a lovely image, Thomas. I actually like the high key background created by the overcast cloud cover. Your subject is nicely posed and positioned on a good-looking perch. One very minor suggestion would be to move the bird to the left just a bit – this would move the bird a little more off center and allow it to look across and through more of the frame. That's just based on my personal tastes. It's a very good image as is. :)

by david fletcher on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:25 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
lovely soft light suits this... agree with Ron's suggestion, which will enhance an already fine shot
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Gene Gwin on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:06 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Thomas, The perch is also nice. You could also try saturating the background with blue. This might give subtle blue tones to the background, if you want to tone down the high-key affect.

by ThomasBarbin on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:25 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Thank you, Ron and David. I do have some extra room on either side of the bird so I'll move the bird over in the frame and see how it looks!

by ThomasBarbin on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:28 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Gene Gwin wrote:Thomas, The perch is also nice.  You could also try saturating the background with blue.  This might give subtle blue tones to the background, if you want to tone down the high-key affect.
Thank you Gene. Straight out of the camera the background was very high key. I've already brought down the exposure and highlights and bumped up the saturation and vibrance a fair amount. I'll try saturating the blues some more, I just fear it may start to look unnatural and oversaturated. I appreciate your advice.

by Jan Wegener on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 am
Jan Wegener
Forum Contributor
Member #:00917
very nice image! Beautiful Turnstone

7 posts |