Yellow-breasted Antpita

Posted by mlgray12 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
This Yellow-breasted Antpita is yard bird at Las Gralarias Lodge and Research Center in Ecuador - They feed this bird every morning - only real problem is light ( see camera settings) - since in is in a Rain Forest - I am headed back down again this year - will also hit several lodges I have not done down in southern Ecuador - should be fun and I should get more shots of these interesting looking Antpitas thanks to people learning how to feed these things and drag them off the rain forest floor
D4  w/ 400mm f/2.8 Iso 3200, 1/50 sec @ f2.8 taken in 2015
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

Posted by:
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023

by Ron Day on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 am
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A first for me, so thanks for sharing this one. An attractive perch, a nice pose, and great eye contact. Good luck on your return trip.

by Dorian Anderson on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 am
Dorian Anderson
Forum Contributor
I've shot antpittas in Ecuador and Colombia and know exactly how hard it is. This is nice result!

by mlgray12 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Thanks - by the way this birds name is Yellow (not really very original) but all the birds in Ecuador usually have been given names - most famous of course is the Giant Antpita - named Maria - lots of fun listening to Angel call for Maria by name as he walks through forest. He is on at least Maria II now
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by Dorian Anderson on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Dorian Anderson
Forum Contributor
mlgray12 wrote:Thanks - by the way this birds name is Yellow (not really very original) but all the birds in Ecuador usually have been given names - most famous of course is the Giant Antpita - named Maria - lots of fun listening to Angel call for Maria by name as he walks through forest. He is on at least Maria II now

Yeah, the other day I actually posted a photo of 'Shakira', the resident Ochre-breasted Antpitta at Angel's place. Maria (#whatever) has become much harder to find in recent years and months. We missed her/him, and it now estimated they see the giant on only 1/4 trips.

5 posts |