Varied Thrush

Posted by ThomasBarbin on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
I got lucky today and had a Varied Thrush pop up onto this nice mossy branch. I managed a few quick shots before it flew off and was fortunate to have this one turn out.

This is the first time I've had a Varied Thrush on a perch like this. Does anyone here have experience shooting them and have any suggestions for getting them on perches?

Also, any critique on the photo is welcomed!

Canon 7D
Canon 400mm f/5.6L
Canon 430EX II + Better Beamer
1/250 | f/5.6 | ISO 800

Cheers,

Thomas

Posted by:
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor

by Mako_Elite on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:53 pm
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
Very nice shot Thomas!. I only saw this bird in my backyard once few years ago. Beautiful birds.

Ludo

by ThomasBarbin on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:22 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Mako_Elite wrote:Very nice shot Thomas!. I only saw this bird in my backyard once few years ago. Beautiful birds.

Ludo

Thank you Ludo! They are one of my favourite birds.

by LHays on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Thomas
Oh I love this. Varied Thrush was a nemesis of mine for years. I finally had one opportunity. I can really appreciate the colors, detail and background. Nice that he was on a perch......what few I've ever seen....have been in the bush. Well done.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by RLK on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:40 am
RLK
Forum Contributor
Member #:01370
Nice pose, perch and background Thomas. I love these birds because they are very attractive and mysterious. Would have been nice if you could have gotten a bit more depth of focus here to get better detail on the wings and tail but still a very nice image.
Bob
Bob Kothenbeutel
Website (under construction) www.rlkimages.photoshelter.com

by Nate Chappell on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:47 pm
Nate Chappell
Forum Contributor
Member #:00835
Sweet shot Thomas, when I lived in Washington state they would visit my feeders so place a nice perch above your feeder.
Nate Chappell
Texas and Ecuador

Birds and Wildlife photo workshops and tours

by Ron Day on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:07 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Very fine capture, Thomas! Beautiful perch and background, and the Thrush is a real treat. Well done!

by david fletcher on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:14 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Very nice indeed... love that perch and great eye contact Thomas
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Karl Egressy on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:50 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Nice perch, pose and background. Well captured.

by mikullashbee on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:17 am
mikullashbee
Forum Contributor
Hi Thomas, this is a great image of one of my favourite birds. To be honest i have never had much luck with them away from feeder set-ups. They do come to feeders in the winter, especially when the ground becomes snow covered or temps drop. Setting up some perches over a platform feeder works well with the use of a blind in conjunction. They are very skittish birds. Cheers. Their preferred food is suet/bark butter.
Thanks for looking,
Michael Ashbee
mikeashbeephotography.com

by ThomasBarbin on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:36 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
LHays wrote:Thomas
Oh I love this.  Varied Thrush was a nemesis of mine for years.   I finally had one opportunity.  I can really appreciate the colors, detail and background.  Nice that he was on a perch......what few I've ever seen....have been in the bush.   Well done.

Thank you Lana! That's mostly how I have experienced them too, off in the woods.

by ThomasBarbin on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:40 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
RLK wrote:Nice pose, perch and background Thomas. I love these birds because they are very attractive and mysterious. Would have been nice if you could have gotten a bit more depth of focus here to get better detail on the wings and tail but still a very nice image.
Bob

Thanks Bob! 

I would love to have another chance with this bird in brighter light so I can get more depth of field.

by ThomasBarbin on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:43 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Nate Chappell wrote:Sweet shot Thomas, when I lived in Washington state they would visit my feeders so place a nice perch above your feeder.

Maybe this will be the start of the thrushes visiting my feeders! This branch is placed a few feet below a couple of feeders. I've noticed the thrush has been hanging around the past couple of days, but on the ground picking up the scraps that the woodpeckers drop.

by ThomasBarbin on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:43 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Ron Day wrote:Very fine capture, Thomas! Beautiful perch and background, and the Thrush is a real treat. Well done!

Thank you Ron  :D

by ThomasBarbin on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:44 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Very nice indeed... love that perch and great eye contact Thomas

Thank you! 

by ThomasBarbin on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:44 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:Nice perch, pose and background. Well captured.

Thanks Karl!

by ThomasBarbin on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:51 pm
ThomasBarbin
Forum Contributor
mikullashbee wrote:Hi Thomas, this is a great image of one of my favourite birds. To be honest i have never had much luck with them away from feeder set-ups. They do come to feeders in the winter, especially when the ground becomes snow covered or temps drop. Setting up some perches over a platform feeder works well with the use of a blind in conjunction. They are very skittish birds. Cheers. Their preferred food is suet/bark butter.

I have always had them around my yard, but this is the first I've noticed one take any interest in our feeders. I have the cage style feeders hanging below our gutters with a perch a few feet below. I could imagine a platform feeder working well, especially being lower to the ground than my current setup is. The thrush has been hanging out the last couple of days below the feeders picking up the scraps the woodpeckers have dropped. 

Thanks for your advice Michael, I appreciate it!  :D

17 posts |