"Gotcha!" #6 - Papa

Posted by Sandy R-B on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
#6 in the series - This is the male Goshawk, who also watched warily as the chicks were caught, banded, and returned to the nest.
Tracking device attached. 

Posted by:
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor

by stevenmajor on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:16 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
So....what it’s like to spend time with unhappy, having the worst day of their life birds?

by Mako_Elite on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:00 am
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
Beautiful hawk. I never seen one here where I live.

Ludo

by Ron Day on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:14 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Nice look back pose, Sandy. Good detail too. Living with a tracking device must be aggravating.

by Sandy R-B on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:24 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Ron, I think they get used to it quickly. It's in a place that does not affect flying, catching prey, or any other activities. I believe the information gained from it toward preserving this endangered bird is well worth a bit of initial aggravation on the part of the bird.
Sandy

by Ron Day on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:28 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Sandy R wrote:Ron, I think they get used to it quickly. It's in a place that does not affect flying, catching prey, or any other activities. I believe the information gained from it toward  preserving this endangered bird is well worth a bit of initial aggravation on the part of the bird.
Sandy
Thanks for the insight, Sandy!

by David Salem on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:45 pm
David Salem
Forum Contributor
What a great experience you had going to this goshawk nest Sandy.
Pretty cool that you got to see them collect the babies and band and put transmitters on them.
BTW this is not Papa.  This is one of the babies as seen by the down on the nare and it's tail is still growing in.
Not sure if the adults stuck around for long as every goshawk nest I have been to they've taken off and rarely come back until the danger is gone.
The adults, especially the male is a beautiful Blue-gray color on the back and has horizontal bars throughout the chest and legs.
Was this in Oregon?  Well done.
P.S.  They may have mentioned that this is a male and it probably is as they are the 1st to fledged from the nest But it's not the father.
COME JOIN ME FOR A CUSTOM PERSONALIZED RAPTOR WORKSHOP   NOV-MAR 2019/2020.    PLEASE PM ME TO ENQUIRE ABOUT PRICING AND AVAILABILITY! 

by Karl Egressy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:13 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Great looking Raptor beautiful image.

by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Wow, that is so cool. Nice shot of it. We seldom see these birds here. That must be part of the tracking device (long white wire) I see sticking out.

9 posts |